Gotta start somewhere...BBQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always lived in places that had at minimum decent BBQ (Waco, Indianapolis, Cincinnati) up to great BBQ (Memphis, Tulsa thanks to Burnco)...then I moved to Nebraska. What little there is, sucks. Last two places I tried....1 was boiled then slathered with sauce and called BBQ....bun was mush from all the water. Then tried ribs at a another place and it was like those "ribs" you get at the Chinese buffet.

So...you get to take matters into your own hands and start somewhere. Gonna try the 3-2-1 method on ribs tomorrow. Picked up a butt and 2 slabs each of 3 cuts of ribs on Friday. Even if not amazing, it'll be better than anything I've had around here! She's almost done being "seasoned" in. Yeah I know it's not a hasty bake or whatever but it'll get me started and learning.

20230812_192909.jpg
20230810_174309.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’re screwed now. Your meat and spice bills will expand exponentially in short order while trying to find that “perfect BBQ”.
3-2-1 is a good place to start. We do ribs seasoned the previous day on the pellet grill with a smoke tube at 225* uncovered for 5 hours. Add a coat of Head Country BBQ sauce and cook for one more hour. Puts a very nice bark in it with the caramelized sauce.
Good luck and take pics.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well considering a slab of raw ribs from the market cost like $7 and that Chinese buffet knock off slab that I bought at another "barbecue" joint a few weeks ago was $25 I can eat lots more experimental BBQ of my own for the same money.

I got the main smoker and the add on "slow smoke" attachment so I can smoke longer without refilling chips and also cold smoke stuff, some racks to hold more ribs, thermometer with multiple probes and a few other accessories. 4 or 5 different BBQ sauces from the store and I already have my preferred dry rub. I'll do 2 slabs tomorrow and more next weekend until I get this figured out! For now using hickory chips...I have no idea how long a bag will last but I'm gonna learn!

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Love my smoker! It is an electric that you add wood chips to. In use all the time. 3-2-1 on the ribs works well. Play around with the spices until you find "your" favorite. I like a lot of Cajun spice on my ribs along with everything else I put on the meats. Learning what works is half the fun.
Turkey and chicken after 8 hours in a brine is excellent, again... with the cajun spice LOL.
I have not made my own BBQ sauce as of yet ..... But have been snooping around with the google foo to look at the different recipes although it will be hard to beat Sweet Baby Ray's.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom