Gotta start somewhere...BBQ

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a Masterbuilt Smoker from Sportsmans Guide today, I received $50.00 off and the total was: $256.74, broken down: Smoker: $269.98, Sales tax: $24.57, Shipping and handling: $10.00, package protection: $1.99. Sub Toral: $306.54. minus: $50.00 = $256.54. That is for the smoker without the window and for the optional legs. Thanks to all for advising me on what to buy!

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy an Elect Masterbuilt Smoker? White wants one tomorrow, she said tired of the manual one.
Sportsmansguide.com has a $50 off promo code and I used it for a Masterbuilt electric smoker. They have fast shipping and stand behind whatever they sell.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Try a chuck roast. Cook it just like a brisket. Cheaper and IMHO just as good if not better taste wise.
We did a roast, taking it all the way to where we could shred it like pulled pork. Used it in tacos.
Way better than ground beef.
Great cut for making poor man’s burnt ends.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying the Masterbuilt electric smoker today, It's been on since 1100 and temperature is 96 degrees at present. Maybe it's my fault setting the temperature, I may have inadvertently altered the temp by entering the cook time. So, I reset the controls and entered only the temperature by pushing the temp button and once I entered the temperature, I pushed the temp button to lock it in...
So far I'm not enamored by this particular smoker. I know smoking takes time if it's done right but this thing appears to be an albatross. Maybe it's defective, maybe I'm defective. Time will tell, if the smoker is working correctly, I'll keep it if not....well, back it goes. So far no smoke has come out of the vent

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get smoke in mine almost immediately. Also on mine the temp won't start until you set the timer so you can set it to 225 but if you didn't start the timer, nothing happens. May wanna make sure you're time is running.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get smoke in mine almost immediately. Also on mine the temp won't start until you set the timer so you can set it to 225 but if you didn't start the timer, nothing happens. May wanna make sure you're time is running.
I'll do your suggestion and set the timer. Thanks. The instructions don't say a thing about setting the timer before it will heat up. They are very vague including the optional assembly of the legs. I had the charcoal grill (propane) warming up preparing to put the ribs on it and may still have to do that.

Last edited:

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made that mistake my 2nd week....set temp and checked back and it was barely going up....did that for like an hour and hardly any change. The temp rise I was seeing was just from the outside temp rising and sun warming the smoker LOL

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, it's smioking! I was getting ready to get mad because I could set my hand on the vent it was so cold. I appreciate you telling me what my problem was, I emailed the company four days ago on the stand/legs and haven't received an answer from them. That doesn't; speak well of theiri customer service.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my old smoker I have to set the temperature to maximum for 30 minutes to get the smoke started good, I’ve found that 2 hours or so of smoke time and then about 30 minutes in the instant pot give’s about as good results as 8 or 9 hours in the smoker

Latest posts

Top Bottom