Govt shutdown and elk hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They were invited on the hunt, only out fuel to get to the location and the $10 license. My friend was not aware of the situation before hand. They are part of a non profit that takes youth from a non hunting home on a weekend deer hunt at very very minimal expense to them.

I have revealed more than I planned on. If you still want to view it negatively, I am sorry.
Wasn’t being negative, just an observation to what you did reveal. Nice story, though.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the Elk hunt on the Wichita wildlife refuge, the ODW, not the feds put on that hunt. When I was there as a helper, one of the Federal guys was there on his off time to watch and he said he would love to come help on the hunt to retrieve animals on the job, but fed overtime regulations didn't allow it. No .gov shutdown involved. It was all ODW.
Thats been a few years back though.
I sure hope you’re right Dennis. The cabin rental place did tell them that they would let them cancel with no fees. At least there’s that.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
24A963A5-9B06-490D-BDBD-6E24D97A2C1D.png
Well this sucks but at least he won’t loose his hunt.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several hunts took place already for this season. Next years should only be partially effected.
This right here. I guess you'd have to go back and see how many hunts are affected during the shutdown. That would be the number of tags that wouldn't be drawn for next year.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friends SIL got an email saying the hunt is on for next week. My guess is, after seeing the results of the Trump Pelosi/Schumer meeting, they decided to make the hunts happen this year and not disrupt so many hunt next year.

Wonder who is staffing those and opening the refuge? Cuz after today’s meeting ain’t likely the government will reopen before next week!

It’s great they are planning on having them though!

Latest posts

Top Bottom