Gun goes off by itself? Doubtful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to the Poteau Daily News the handgun involved in the shooting was a Ruger .380 recently purchased by the 15 year-old's mother for personal protection.

Cedar Creek

I seen that I keep one in my pocket in a pocket holster everyday, I move around and have a quite physical job, it's never went off without a trigger finger

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there might have been a hang fire invloved? That's the only way I can see the gun going off laying on the table.

i broken sear. a failed trigger job. hang fire. rugers are great guns with a great safety record but failures happen and new guns fail as well. if this was a used gun its possible someone did a trigger job. we most likely will never know as the weapon is going to be taken into evidence and not returned but it is being tested and inspected i bet you that.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, a little more information, for those who are interested. I have spoken with official-capacity individuals on the scene at this shooting about the situation. I will not give out more details about what actually transpired, as it has been determined that it was an accident and no charges have been filed or will be filed. The investigation is essentially complete - unless more testing on the individual firearm is to be done, which I doubt given the information I will post below.

The pistol was a Ruger LCP .380. As some of you may know, the early model LCPs had some reports of drop-fires. In this case, there was no magazine in the pistol, but apparently there was still a round in the chamber that had not been cleared.

Some info on the LCP -

Some reports of early model recalls
http://www.usacarry.com/forums/conc.../26548-accidental-discharge-2.html#post320610

A drop-fire incident
http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum...dropped-my-loaded-ruger-lcp-3.html#post863572

"Ruger has recently received a small number of reports from the field indicating that LCP pistols can discharge when dropped onto a hard surface with a round in the chamber. We are firmly committed to safety and would like to retrofit all older LCP Pistols. The retrofit involves installation of an upgraded hammer mechanism at no charge to the customer. We want to remind gun users that, for maximum safety when carrying any pistol with a loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be empty, and the slide should be closed. Any gun may fire if dropped or struck. How to determine if your pistol needs the retrofit: All LCP pistols bearing prefix “370” (that is, serial number 370-xxxxx) may be affected. Newly manufactured and retrofitted “370” prefix LCP pistols with the new hammer mechanism installed have been marked with a diamond in the flat portion of the slot just behind and below the hammer as shown to the right. Going forward, new pistols will be marked with the serial number prefix “371” (serial number 371-xxxxx). Pistols with the “371” prefix are not affected. How to arrange to have your pistol retrofitted: Step 1 - Contact us and provide your name, address, telephone number and LCP serial number. To sign up for the FREE safety upgrade: Click Here to sign up immediately using the on-line form. You may also sign up by using any of these alternative methods: E-mail: [email protected] Fax: (928) 541-8873 Phone: LCP Recall Hotline 1-800-784-3701 (available Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT) Step 2 - The new parts are being built and we will retrofit LCP pistols on a first-come, first-served basis as soon as they are available. When we are ready to retrofit your pistol, we will send you a shipping label and package with instructions so you can return your pistol to us FREE of charge. Step 3 - We will install the new hammer mechanism, plus some other functional upgrades that we added since the LCP’s introduction, and return your LCP to you, all FREE of charge. When we do, we also will send you a FREE magazine with the new finger grip extension as a “thank you” for your patience and cooperation. We will make every effort to return your pistol within one week of receipt. Thank you, Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc."

From http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-LCP2.htm
"I was curious about whether or not the pistols could discharge if dropped. To prove it to myself, I intentionally dropped both my older pistol and the updated one on the hard wood floor of my shooting shack porch. Not wanting a .380 bullet to be flying around uncontrolled ( I have been hit by one before), I loaded the pistols with an empty, primed cartridge case. That way, if it did fire, I would hear the report of the primer firing, but no errant bullets would be involved. The earlier pistol that has not been sent in for the recall would not fire, but the firing pin did leave a very slight mark on the primer of the empty cartridge case. The pistol that has been upgraded left no mark at all, so it was obvious that the new hammer assembly is doing its job."

Finally, direct from the horse's mouth - http://www.ruger.com/LCPRecall/?utm_source=Gunblast&utm_medium=Banner&utm_campaign=GunblastLCPRecall

It appears this was a failure from several different directions, all of which combined to create a "perfect storm" that resulted in the tragic death of a young girl.

1. An apparent defect that allows a pistol to drop-fire.
2. Poor firearm safety/security in removing the magazine but not clearing the chamber.
3. Poor firearm safety in leaving said gun in a loaded condition out and able to be accessed by those unfamiliar in its handling and/or use.
4. Apparently poor gun handling by the individual(s) actually directly involved in the accident.
5. Simple chance in someone being in the line of fire even momentarily at exactly the wrong moment when the gun fired.

For myself, I am reasonably confident that the story of the gun firing from the level of the hard surface it was found on is accurate. Whether this happened when dropped on that surface or was already sitting there and untouched at the moment of discharge we will likely never know for sure, and in the end it isn't all that pertinent. The failures listed above are all still pertinent and applicable.

The bottom line...

Always be familiar with any firearm you are handling - not only its loaded/unloaded state, but also its basic operation and safety features.
Always treat any firearm as if it is loaded
Never point any firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot
Always do everything possible to keep firearms out of the hands of those not trained in or familiar with their use.

I hope this will help, either to help some people accept events as they happened or are reported, and to move forward and help prevent such events from happening in the future.

Good luck, and good night.

I continue the prayers and sympathy for the family of Saylor Sloan.

Latest posts

Top Bottom