gun inventory software

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have struggled with this for years. I originally used Quicken Home Inventory for my guns, then added other valuables in the house. It was easy to add items to, sorted by type or location, it had multiple reports that could be produced for insurance purposes, and did a good job of summing up total spend on each category. BUT, when I saw the light and migrated to Mac OS-X, I discovered that it didn't have the ability to EXPORT to a usable format. I also decided at that time that I needed a better backup (read: online) solution, as my last PC was stolen in a smash-and-grab while in Kalifornia. There were several items that weren't on my backup; my bad.

So, I started looking for online solutions, and since I was starting over, I wanted to make sure that I could access it from any device, including my iPhone. I tried a couple of solutions out, like StuffSafe.com, but they don't even use HTTPS, and their blog doesn't indicate a lot of activity, so they were quickly dropped from the list. I don't remember all that I looked at, but I ended up buying a full-blown HomeInventory account on gottahaveitsoftware.com. I had tried the 10 item trial version, but what I didn't pick up during the trial was that entering items in an online form is quite tedious, I would have much preferred the ability to enter the info in a tabular form with a single submit or imported from a spreadsheet. I found it to be so tedious that I have abandoned the effort and am looking for a different solution now.

Which leads me to today. A lot of people have indicated that a spreadsheet works well for them, but after the loss of my most recent copy, I've decided that I need to keep my single-source-of-truth in the cloud, where I can access it from anywhere. So tonight I'm going to see how far I can push Google Docs Spreadsheet capability. A simple flat file would work for most, but I'm going to see how close to a true database I can get it; there seems to be a lot of content out there on how to do it. Oh, and then there are the pictures. I'm hoping that I can find a way to link to a repository of them; either in my google docs space or linked to someplace like photobucket. I'm really guessing at what is possible so wish me luck! Who knows, if this works I may be able to share a template. If there is any interests from those more experienced at this maybe we could turn it into a community project.

jim7711

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excel does work pretty good for gun Inventory. I set it up for a friend of mine who has a lot more guns that I do.

We took pics of all the guns with up close pics of the serial #. Used one column and just made a hyperlink for each weapon to the corresponding weapon picture.

These were mostly custom rifles so we made columns for action type, serial #, caliber, barrel description, twist, stock type, scope description, scope serial #, and hyperlink to the pic. Could make multiple columns for multiple pic hyperlinks.

Also as stated in another post above OpenOffice will do the same thing for free in case you don't have excel.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I back up mine on thumb drives, and store them in a fire safe. Granted, thats not forever type of storage, but there is enough movement of guns, that it gets refreshed on occasion.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so far I given up on any database type app on Google, but I did find a template that someone created just for a firearms inventory. I made some changes to mine, including a field where I link to pics on Photobucket. This solves my primary two concerns; 1)Always backed up off-site, and 2)Accessible from anywhere, not just my laptop.

Search for Personal Firearms Inventory By Yooper One if the link below doesn't work.
https://docs.google.com/previewtemplate?id=0AvwxHwUJm5JgdDNQRXBYY3Q3bTVOUnloc0ZPNXRNOXc&mode=public

ZGXtreme

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I too would recommend Excel. For the past 5 years I have used Excel as my checking register. This year I added an "Inventory" tab for all serial numbered property I own, be it electronics or firearms. This has really simplified things for me and also allowed me to use some of the forumla functions of Excel to track my inventory's value. After saving any changes, I frequently back it up to my MobileMe iDisk which (1) backs up the information and (2) provides access if needed through my iPhone or iPad. Every once in a while I also back it up to my iPod Shuffle for some extra redundancy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom