Gun Show at the County Fair yeehaw....first gun as Nebraska Resident

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boone County Fair started on Saturday. It's a wee bit different than the Tulsa Fair to say the least.

They kicked off the Fair with a Gun Show! $3 admission for all weekend to the Gun Show. The Gun Show runs 9-5 opening weekend.
I guess I'm collecting Ruger American Ranch Rifles...I picked up one in 5.56 to go with my Blackout version. They're just good little suppressor hosts. Had to order rings but will swap a scope around, toss an ASR mount on and I will be rocking by mid-week. There's way more bolt guns and shotguns than tactical stuff at the show which I rather enjoy.

Also enjoyed the tractor show, sled pulls and some food truck grub for dinner.
General admission to the fair is free so no cost on the tractor stuff which is nice.

Lastly, gun purchasing is a tad different here. I have mixed feelings on it. For handguns it appears you need a purchase permit. I don't believe it's necessary for long guns. On the surface, I don't like it. You go to your local LE office (here, the Sheriff's Office) and fill out what's equivalent to a 4473, they run you through NICS and you get approved or rejected. It's $5 and good for 3 years. The plus side, once you have it and you buy a gun through a FFL, you fill out the 4473 but they don't have to call it in...so if it's busy, down or whatever, you're on your way as soon as you sign the 4473. I think you can bypass the purchase permit with a CHL, and similarly they don't call in your 4473 if you have a CHL.

I'm not sure if it's "required" for private party sales or not. I've not found a local forum similar to OSA for up here and Armslist is pretty non-existent last I looked.

Top is Blackout with a Burris RT6, I use Lancer mags for this one.
Bottom is the new 5.56. It's getting a Vortex 4-16 I had and will run black Pmags. (I use Lancers for Subsonic blackout, FDE Pmags for Supersonic Blackout and black Pmags for 5.55/.223)

IMG_20220709_173801771.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pistol purchase permit seems like a revenue source for somebody. Do you have to tell the LE what you intend to buy?
If it’s not a revenue source, why not just let the FFL holder run the NICS if a person doesn’t have a CHL?
As far as requiring something like that private sales, good luck enforcing it.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you're in Boone. My GF is from Grand Island, rest of her family is up by Burwell. We are up there all the time. Yeah, not a fan of Nebraska gun laws and the transfer fee for dealers seems to be higher there. She's still a NE resident, so when she wants something it's is a PITA.

Watch for the gunshow in Hastings in October, it's a small to medium sized show, but it has quality and good deals typically.

I will probably be a Nebraska resident sooner rather than later. I really like that part of the country, wouldn't mind living there at all.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well at least you had a cheap entry fee into the gun show, and sounds like it was a good time to boot.

Haven’t been to Nebraska much, my wife grew up there in Seward, but what I saw I liked it.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The pistol purchase permit seems like a revenue source for somebody. Do you have to tell the LE what you intend to buy?
If it’s not a revenue source, why not just let the FFL holder run the NICS if a person doesn’t have a CHL?
As far as requiring something like that private sales, good luck enforcing it.

There is nothing about what you intend to buy when you fill it out. It is basically the normal personal information name address physical characteristics and all that jazz and all the questions about felony convictions and citizenship and illegal drug activity that you answer on a 4473 but there is nothing about what kind of firearm your interested in or anything. It seems like Omaha and Lincoln area are nearly like New York and California and what they want for gun laws and the rest of the state is constantly fighting what they try to propose in pass and you get weird mixes of stuff like this. I think Omaha itself has a handgun registration requirement which that alone would prevent me from ever moving to that city. Out here in rural farmland they are pretty pro-gun and not into restrictions like that.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading years ago that Nebraska was passing some kind of law rather than a waiting period on getting a handgun (which had been proposed).
I think it was passed in response to all of the, what everybody now screeches about as "gun violence!", in Lincoln and Omaha.
Don't know about Nebraska but in some states, getting a concealed carry permit lets people avoid the handgun PURCHASE permit and/or waiting period.

ETA purchase permit.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never saw much I liked about Nebraska. Glad my ex-in laws stayed there. They should have got more jail time then what they did when they kidnapped my grandsons.

Latest posts

Top Bottom