Gundy gets apology over blown TD call

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Big 12's coordinator of officials "apologized profusely" to Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy for his official's botched call at the end of the Cowboys' 41-36 loss to Texas, according to a report in The Oklahoman.

Walt Anderson told Gundy that head linesman Brad Edwards signaled touchdown too soon without a proper view of the ball on the play that put the Longhorns ahead, according to the report. Texas running back Joe Bergeron fumbled, and the question was whether it happened before he crossed the goal line.

... An officiating source told the paper that once the ball gets lost in the pile, clear recovery goes away. In order to earn possession, Oklahoma State would have had to demonstrate clear recovery.

The Big 12 did the right thing here even though the private apology went public pretty quickly. I offered a few thoughts on Twitter earlier this week, but I doubt Anderson's apology did much to appease Gundy.

Anderson's interpretation was the same as mine: Yes, it was a fumble. No, it wasn't a touchdown. However, based on the rules of clear recovery, Texas should have maintained possession.

The odds for punching it in on the next down favor Texas, but you know Oklahoma State would have loved another chance to make a game-winning goal line stand.

If you're an Oklahoma State fan, does this make the Texas loss easier or more difficult to swallow?

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/56821/big-12-apologizes-to-gundy-over-blown-call

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. I thought it was a bunch of crap. Not deliberate bad as Oregon/OU 2006, but plenty bad. I'm a Sooner and I hated seeing it. Yeah OSU lost to a non ranked team, when their starting quarterback was hurt. I can relate (Sam Bradford). I still don't think they deserve to be not ranked. And for Texas to barely squeak by, they should have been dropped in the rankings, just like other teams that dropped down due to small margin of victory against unranked teams. I really hope they get a decent playoff format ironed out for college. Mike is a HELL of a coach, a stand up guy, and I have grown nervouse about playing OSU anymore. It just blows my mind that his brother is at OU. I'm not one of those fans that hate. Both schools are a reflection of Oklahoma. I couldn't be more proud of what Cowboy football has become!

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We should have stopped them before they got to the goal line

Most games have mistakes, on both sides of the ball. You guys did great! Really have become a team to watch out for and legitimate team for national championship runs. I would LOVE to see you guys win one, or more....just save one for us every now and then. :-)

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm a Longhorn fan. While we were watching the game, I looked at my wife after that call and I said "I don't know about that one." I was bummed out about that call. I know they say a win is a win, but not on a bad call it's not. Gundy has built one helluva program up there.

Glocksteady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Full disclosure, I'm a Longhorn fan. While we were watching the game, I looked at my wife after that call and I said "I don't know about that one." I was bummed out about that call. I know they say a win is a win, but not on a bad call it's not. Gundy has built one helluva program up there.

More disclosure, we have Horns in the family too. Won't hold it against you! :-)

bahammer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am an OSU grad, but the mother of all ref sc@#$ings was that 2006 OU game. That was just goofy, with the same problem as this game. How do you make the call-TD or fumble- if you don't see the ball? But it happens, can't whine about it or the season goes to heck. I do like that the Big 12 did address it and acknowledge it as a poor call, but you have to put it behind you. That 2006 OU deal looked like the mob got to the officials, there were about 3 calls in the last 5 min that were just terrible.

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As for the big12 conference officials: you cant give the officials the chance to give a gamechanger call to texas because they always do. Just ask Nebraska or A&M.

Stop them on that 4th down and it would have been over.

Latest posts

Top Bottom