guns and house fires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whtdragon

New to the site!
Reaction score
I had several rifles in just a metal gun cabinet that went through a house fire. The top half got hot enough in places that set the ammo off and deformed the stocks in the lower half. One of the rifles was a 7 ultra mag with stainless barrel and bolt. How would I go about testing to see if the rifle is still usable or is it just a wall hanger now.
Thanks.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had several rifles in just a metal gun cabinet that went through a house fire. The top half got hot enough in places that set the ammo off and deformed the stocks in the lower half. One of the rifles was a 7 ultra mag with stainless barrel and bolt. How would I go about testing to see if the rifle is still usable or is it just a wall hanger now.
Thanks.

If you deside to sell any of the guns please let me know. We maybe able to work something out. I am in need of a couple of actions for a custom build I am working on.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most gunsmiths I know don't have the equipment to determine if the metal has been compromised other than by visual observation, and some redneck tests.
By saying redneck tests, I'm not disparaging anybody, but there are some ways to test metal for hardness, etc without expensive test equipment.

Example: my buck knife Rockwell's out to a 60 hardness. If I can scratch a surface with it, the metal is softer than 60. How much, I don't know.

Too much heat can anneal the metal. I'd look at a machine shop that has the correct equipment to actually test the metal.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it was a family heirloom I'd just turn it in on my insurance and buy a new one. Why mess with it and the potential risk hazard?

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless it was a family heirloom I'd just turn it in on my insurance and buy a new one. Why mess with it and the potential risk hazard?

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

Because depending on how much total damage was done and the ins. policy, there are limits. Just turning them all in doesn't mean they will all get replaced. The insurance will pay for the inspection, cleaning, and testing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom