Gunsmithing Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got an old Stevens 20 gauge break open that is having extracting issues. It readily ejects an unfired short base round out crisply to 2 feet or so, however once fired I have to use a rod to bump the hull out as the extractor stays in place. I've done the same thing with high base and it will actually eject the hull but not as well as an unfired round. I've cleaned the chamber and even buffed it a little with liteweight emery paper. On inspection I see no issues in the chamber as the unfired shell is free moving and the extractor spring is strong. Any ideas on what the problem is and how to cure its ills?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
without seeing it in person I would guess that the ejector is slightly bent or in need of a little relief.
whether its bent or not fitted properly, it probably needs a few thousandths of metal removed.
the metal of the ejector is probably sticking up enough that when the casehead expands it hangs
whether its the rod with a head on it or the flat sheet metal type they are both fairly soft and prone to bending.
especially from a lot of hard (snap the action shut) type of handling.
probably if you take it out and examine it carefully you can see where its rubbing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom