Guys I think I bought a wrong scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my set up, Savage 10FP .308 and have an SS16X42 scope mounted on it. I planned to learning to shoot from 200 - 700 yards but from what I've heard people at my work place says at that range they would recommended 10x scope. 16X field of view is much smaller than 10x at 300 - 600 yards they said. Now when I think about it, I want to find a scope that suit me right when I practice and I will sign up for long range shooting class whenever my wrist get fully recover. I need your help and your thought about it, I would really appreciate it.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think it will be a problem 10x might be nicer in a tactical environment where you need to be able to see movement and be able to track things better but at the range increasing your long range experience 16x should serve you just fine. You will be focusing on a single stationary target even if it filled the whole scope (it won't) you would be fine just a little harder to find your target once there no problems.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of the military shooters use the 10X.
I think it has something to do with the calculations.
Others will surely chime in that have more experience.

ACQBFA

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since it's fixed power, I can't imagine the reticle would be inaccurate with the standard calculations. However, it'd be a good idea to check. Most Second focal plane variable power scopes have the reticle accurate only at 10x.

IMO, if I was going to go fixed power, I'd go with the 16x for the ranges you are saying. You'd surprised how tiny a small circle looks at 700 yards even with 16x magnification. Yes, the field of view may be narrower, but if it's just going to be a paper puncher, all you need to see is the target, right (and some holdover I suppose)?

Bobrob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much, try it out, you might like it. I am using a 24x for target shooting.
If I thought I would be in a tactical situation, I would take my M1A.

"You bought the wrong one" is pretty much the response of someone trying to sell you one of theirs.

Regards

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll be fine - fixed 16x Mil-Dot is accurate for range-finding or adjusting and you want more than 10x if you're doing any of your own spotting (without a spotting scope) at ranges above 500yds.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference what type scope you have as long as you familiarize yourself w/it and learn your scope/rifle. Shoot, shoot, and than shoot some more. Have seen some good marksman make some amazing shots w/pretty cheep optics because they knew their rifle, at any range.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with EZ, you should be fine.

Only drawback (in my opinion) is hot days at distance when the mirage is running rampant..........but hey, we all deal with it.

Most important thing is to get out and use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom