Guys I think I bought a wrong scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ye olde "get a fixed 10" advice that is often bandied about is horrible advice frankly, *for people that are target shooting to make GROUPS*.

There is a big difference between:

1. Making teeny weeny groups at long ranges (200 and beyond),

and

2. Making a HIT *somewhere* on a man-sized target at long ranges.

For #2, a 10 power is fine. For #1, I greatly prefer a 20 or 24 power scope just at 200*, let alone further. #2 is what snipers, with their young eyes, have to do. #1 is what I, and many others like to do, in the real world. [*maybe a 16 or 18 if the glass quality is high enough.]

A true dedicated long range rig is usually better off with a fixed scope all right - a fixed power target scope in the 40 or 50x range - at least 35x. Sightron, Leupold, Weaver, and others all have nice fixed power target scopes. The Super Sniper fixed 20 would be adequate for out to 300 yards. I think Leupold has a 35x45 and a 40x45. Weaver has some nice ones on a budget. Sightron SIII if you want to get serious about it.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking you should just sell something like a car and get a NF or a Premier

I love NF scope but I'm nowhere near to be a good shooter yet so I'll wait on that. LOL

Ye olde "get a fixed 10" advice that is often bandied about is horrible advice frankly, *for people that are target shooting to make GROUPS*.

There is a big difference between:

1. Making teeny weeny groups at long ranges (200 and beyond),

and

2. Making a HIT *somewhere* on a man-sized target at long ranges.

For #2, a 10 power is fine. For #1, I greatly prefer a 20 or 24 power scope just at 200*, let alone further. #2 is what snipers, with their young eyes, have to do. #1 is what I, and many others like to do, in the real world. [*maybe a 16 or 18 if the glass quality is high enough.]

A true dedicated long range rig is usually better off with a fixed scope all right - a fixed power target scope in the 40 or 50x range - at least 35x. Sightron, Leupold, Weaver, and others all have nice fixed power target scopes. The Super Sniper fixed 20 would be adequate for out to 300 yards. I think Leupold has a 35x45 and a 40x45. Weaver has some nice ones on a budget. Sightron SIII if you want to get serious about it.

Group, you mean 3 - 4 rounds in a circle @ 200 yards? How small is a group to be considered a good grouping?

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted this question before and I've got clowned on other site. I hope I dont get it here. I often seen people posted up their targets after range visited. I saw that they place a red bulleye sticker in the middle but where the bullets landed were a little off the bulleye. Some on the left and some on the right, did they do that on purpose? fill me in on this please.

Reaction score
A group, just meaning a 3 or 5 shot group. IF there are people that do NOT appreciate the extra magnification that a good 20 power give you at 200 yards and beyond, then I'd have to say that they must have a LOT better eyesight than I do (which is certainly possible). And by appreciate, I mean, have it translate into smaller groups - actual results. YMMV, IMO, all that stuff. :)

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A group, just meaning a 3 or 5 shot group. IF there are people that do NOT appreciate the extra magnification that a good 20 power give you at 200 yards and beyond, then I'd have to say that they must have a LOT better eyesight than I do (which is certainly possible). And by appreciate, I mean, have it translate into smaller groups - actual results. YMMV, IMO, all that stuff. :)

got it, thanks.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
How small is a group to be considered a good grouping?

Generally speaking, a good group would have all your shots striking within a 1" circle at 100 yds... a 2" circle at 200 yds.... a 3" circle at 300 yds....a 4" circle at 400 yds...etc. (approx. 1 MOA)

BTW, it gets much more difficult to keep shots that close together at longer distances, due to a variety of factors, including the mechanical accuracy of your rifle/scope, the shooter's abilities, wind and temperature -- to name a few of 'em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom