Guys I think I bought a wrong scope

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnich

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you'll like the view the scope provides at longer ranges, 400+ yds.

I know I do... My first scope was a Mk4 3.5 x 10 scope, but I switched to a 4.5 x 14 so I could better see target frame numbers at 400, 500 & 600 yds. (It's very uncool to shoot your buddy's target during quals!)

As has been noted, you may find it takes a few more seconds finding your target with the smaller field of view, but unless you're tracking a moving target or shooting under a time constraint, then I doubt you'll find it a big issue.

There's so much more to long-range shooting than just your rifle scope. Just get out there and practice.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have gone with a variable. If it's just a bench gun...fine; but if you want to hunt with it, the 16x will suck at close ranges. Higher magnification can also suck if there is alot of mirage. I would rather have low magnification with quality glass, than high mag. and so-so glass.
It's all trial and error, until you find what works best for you.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll be fine - fixed 16x Mil-Dot is accurate for range-finding or adjusting and you want more than 10x if you're doing any of your own spotting (without a spotting scope) at ranges above 500yds.

I don't know if my scope is fixed 16x or variable 16x. There is 16x mark on the focus and turn counter clockwise you'll see 10M - 20 - 50 - 100 so on and stop at 500.

As has been noted, you may find it takes a few more seconds finding your target with the smaller field of view, but unless you're tracking a moving target or shooting under a time constraint, then I doubt you'll find it a big issue.

I stopped shooting indoor because it took almost 15 - 20 seconds to find my target and I find it very bugging. True, I do need to spend more time at the range than worry too much about the scope.

I would have gone with a variable. If it's just a bench gun...fine; but if you want to hunt with it, the 16x will suck at close ranges. Higher magnification can also suck if there is alot of mirage.

Like I said above, I would drive me nuts to find my target when I shoot indoor. I'm looking at the Nikon 3-12x for my wife bolt rifle, I had no experience with scope, I thought the higher power is the better and that's why I bought the SS16x. Now I gonna use the 16x as a spotting scope LOL

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I looked at SWFA for the scope info, there not much info about it listed. I'll google it later :)

Its fixed. SS doesn't make a variable magnification scope that specifically stops at 16x.

There's nothing wrong with it - SS makes quality glass - its probably not quite as bright or clear as Leupold, but those scopes are rugged as hell and 10x is fine at 400yds or less, but once you get above 500yds, you can have all the clarity in the world, but spotting your own hits on white paper gets tricky.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its fixed. SS doesn't make a variable magnification scope that specifically stops at 16x.

There's nothing wrong with it - SS makes quality glass - its probably not quite as bright or clear as Leupold, but those scopes are rugged as hell and 10x is fine at 400yds or less, but once you get above 500yds, you can have all the clarity in the world, but spotting your own hits on white paper gets tricky.

I love my SS scope not doubt about it, can't wait until the weather get warm up and spend more time at the range.

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you handloading?

I have seen an identical setup shoot 1.25moa at 1900yds with 175SMKs, and slightly better with 190SMKs 210Amax, and 190 Bergers.

No, I used factory ammo. I don't think I will get a reloading kits anytime soon. I have to learn how to shoot LR first. I didn't think .308 would made it to the target at that range, that gotta be one hell of a shot. I'm did some research on

Prvi Partizan .308 175 gr. Boattail Hollow Point Match Grade Ammo

Black Hills Ammunition 308 Winchester 175 Grain Match Hollow Point Boat Tail

Lapua Scenar Ammunition 308 Winchester 185 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail

Lapua has the most good reviews. But first Im going to buy some cheap ammo to practice and slowly step up from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom