Had a great birthday.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took the day off and the wife and I went and floated the Illinois. The fishing was great! I caught 15-20 smallmouth and easily lost twice that many as they threw the hook in true smallmouth acrobat style. We floated out of Peyton's Place and received the same gracious and excellent service we've become used to from them over the years. If you haven't floated the Illinois in a while, I highly recommend it, and highly recommend Peyton's Place as well. The water level is great and the fishing is even better. Next time I'll remember to bring a rig for big catfish though. No pics unfortunately as we didn't want to risk ruining the camera and forgot to bring a disposable.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We went back in July for the 4th...Used Falcon Floats. Initally we had two single person kayaks, but when we got in the water my wifes started to sink. Pulled it out of the water and it had a gash in the tail end. Luckly they had a trailer there with two man kayaks on it so we grabbed one of those and finished the trip. Was fun, didn't catch any fish but I had a crappy lure tied on anyways and I wasn't packing my tacklebox on a kayak, too much money invested in that thing. Would've been better if the water was a foot or so higher.

OkieOFT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i floated the illinois sept 08, first time in a kayak and lets just say that wasnt much fun. I'd like to go fishing down there.

I wouldn't float any other way, canoes are far too lame but I guess one would be good if doing an overnight trip. I want to go back for an overnight fishing trip before this summer is over. I was standing in the water throwing a bass lure, I looked down and I had 3 catfish swimming around my feet. Could see them clear as day.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Archie and his boys are a bunch of nice guys. Old archie is about half fish. I have seen him swim under some of the biggest logs in that river. We floated from Sparrowhawk on Monday. You might try that part next time. It has a few more deeper holes and might have a bit better fishing than floating from Peytons place. I know because we floated from war eagle 2 weeks ago. I would definitely say the fishing is better on the lower part, but that is just my :twocents:

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I floated it last week. Other then doing it on a weekend when it was super packed, it was very nice! I fished a little bit a caught a 1.5lb largemouth and a lot of small smallmouths. It was a blast and is very very relaxing!

And Happy birthday :)

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Happy Bday as well. I hate you guys close enough to do a canoe trip.:tounge:
Have you ever canoe'd the Buffalo in Arkansas? Really pristine.

Dennis, I've never got a chance to float the Buffalo, but a few of the guys in my flyfishing club have said it's a great place to go.

Latest posts

Top Bottom