Had a great birthday.........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from fishing in Colorado. It sure was tough leaving when the morning lows were 46-53 degs. I fished the headwater of the Colorado twice and caught around 35 brookies on dry flies. I also fished the Arkansas River above Buena Vista and got skunked because the water was up and a heavy rubber hatch was on. Lastly fished Reader Creek and got rained out. It rained 3 of the 4 days we fished.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned from fishing in Colorado. It sure was tough leaving when the morning lows were 46-53 degs. I fished the headwater of the Colorado twice and caught around 35 brookies on dry flies. I also fished the Arkansas River above Buena Vista and got skunked because the water was up and a heavy rubber hatch was on. Lastly fished Reader Creek and got rained out. It rained 3 of the 4 days we fished.

Even with the rain, its sounds like you had a good trip. I live on the Arkansas river in Ponca. Its was funny up in Co. listening to the arkansas river trout fishing report on the radio. It would be the carp and gar report from here.:pms2:

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis - Dont knock them carp and gar. A friend of mine is having fun catching 3 - 4 foot gar and filleting them to eat. He asked me how I would cut through the skin. I suggested a reciprocating saw. He said that he cut up the meat in small chunks and put it in shrimp/crab boil. His office mates asked for a second round. He said everyone thought the meat tasted like shrimp. HHHMMMMMMMM. I may have to give this a try. He has been having a ball catching them on gar getters.

I hope that I get a chance to go back to CO within the next 30 days for the Fall fishing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some of the Grand Lake gar getters. using them with steel leaders on medium tackle below Kaw dam is too much fun.
I've eaten them in the past, and they are quite tasty.

Latest posts

Top Bottom