Had the most unusual interaction with a Highway Patrol trooper yesterday.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I has something like that with the KS Highway Patrol. This was back when the speed limit was 55. I came around a curve and saw the cruiser with radar pointed right at me. Speedo said I was going just over 65. I look up again, radar is coming down out of the window so I knew I was busted. I showed down and turned into the parking area where he was, got out of my car with hands out to show they were empty and got in the passenger side of the cruiser. He looked at me like WTF and I said you were about to go after me, right? He took my DL, ran the check over the radio, told me to slow down and I could go.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We were headed to Son's house for granddaughter's 1st birthday.

State was replacing a bridge and was in construction zone. Deputy Sheriff was sitting in the parking area for Wildlife Mgmt Area, waiting on hunters to walk out.

I come across bridge at 60. Normally a 65 zone, but 45 because of construction.
It was Saturday and no workers present. If so, I would have been at 35.

Deputy lit me up, immediately. I pulled over as soon as clear of bridge and had a shoulder.

Deputy asked why I was in such a hurry?
I said, "I wasn't paying attention. It was granddaughter's 1st birthday. We were late. Wif was chewing me out. We were late to their wedding. We were late to the birth and now, late again.

He said, "be careful and watch your speed."

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to inlaws for Thanksgiving meal with wife an two adult daughters in truck. Topped hill doing 80+ and there he was. I didn't even wait for his lights as I'm pulling over and turn on my flashers and come to a stop. He pulls in behind me, gets out and as walking up noticed my crossbow case in truck bed. I have my paperwork ready and he asked if the case was a crossbow. Yes sir, it's a Horton and a nice one. Want to see it? For 15 minutes we talk, he handled it and asked intelligent questions. Said he had been thinking about getting one. Wife finally said we had half the food for lunch and need to go. Told me to drive safe and I said same to him. Nice fellow.

Last edited:

Choprzrul

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to South Dakota a few years ago and was stopped in Nebraska by one of their highway patrol officers. Very shortly after stopping, a county sheriff deputy also stopped to serve as a backup. I had the cruise set at 70 mph, which is my normal 5 mph over the speed limit. HP guy asked how fast I was going and I said 70. Then he asked me what the speed limit was and I said 65. He looked at me a bit and said, "well, I'll just give you a warning since you were so honest."

Then I told him that with 60 some years of licensed driving, he was the first and ONLY officer that ever stopped me for being 5 mph over the limit. Between the HP and the deputy, we had a pretty good conversation that day.

So, be careful if you are on a highway south of Valentine, NE.
If you are south of Valentine and see another vehicle in the distance, there is a decent chance it's LE.....not much traffic out in the hills, so the LE ratio is much higher :-)

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 1978 or 79 I was driving from McAlester, OK headed for Pleasanton, KS on Hwy. 69. I had just finished a construction project in McAlester. I was driving an old one ton company Ford pickup with a stake bed full of tools. There was another guy riding in the passenger seat and we were pulled over by a big black OHP officer and he had us get out of the truck and pulled his gun on us and had us put our hands on the back of the truck bed.

That day two old boys that had shot and killed officers in Oklahoma and Texas and had been going back and forth on their rampage, so all the highway patrol were on high alert. At that point in time they still had not been apprehended.

The reason he said he pulled us over was I had crossed the center line a couple times. He asked if I had been drinking and I told him no, I was just tired from putting in long days finishing up a construction project. The truth was the front steering components of that pickup were worn out and it was hard to keep the truck going in a straight line. I didn’t want to tell him the steering was worn out.

After he relaxed and put his gun away he told me to have the other guy drive if I was so tired, so the other guy took over driving and the patrolman went his way and we went on our way. That was the only time I have ever had a gun drawn on me.

Over the years I have driven many miles in Oklahoma and have been pulled over at least 5 or 6 times by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol for minor traffic violations and they have never written me a ticket and have been nothing but professional. I can’t say that about some local-yokel cops. I have also met and dealt with some local cops that were professional and courteous, but a few were anything but professional.

Latest posts

Top Bottom