Hammered? Or hammerless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hammers! BTW, you're making me blue. I had an older Stevens hammered SxS many years ago and it was very much a shooter. I traded it for some other gun I ended up trading off.

My "coach" gun now is the Stevens 311 I've had for close to 20 years. All nickel plated, baby!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Hammers! BTW, you're making me blue. I had an older Stevens hammered SxS many years ago and it was very much a shooter. I traded it for some other gun I ended up trading off.

My "coach" gun now is the Stevens 311 I've had for close to 20 years. All nickel plated, baby!

I'm really thinking this is what I want to do. Get one of the Stevens 311s with a wood stock, cut the barrels down to 18-20" and have fun.

Personally, I prefer the hammerless guns, but the hammers are growing on me.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really thinking this is what I want to do. Get one of the Stevens 311s with a wood stock, cut the barrels down to 18-20" and have fun.

Personally, I prefer the hammerless guns, but the hammers are growing on me.

311s are hard to beat. Plenty of parts, replacement stocks available. Great all-around shotguns. I have 4 of 'em!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this and thought about you. ;)

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,6990.html

Just a bit more than I can afford, but really not all that bad.

I wonder where they are "imported" from? :anyone:

Seems to be made in the USA according to the ad

Now you can relive the Old West by owning this fine reproduction of the shotgun Colt made in Hartford, Connecticut. Made with fine American Walnut wood, two 3" chambers, 12 gauge cylinder bores, two side-by-side 20" barrels and two triggers, one for each chamber, standard blue finish. Firearm weighs approx. 8 lbs.

Don't overlook any reproduction guns made Italy by Fausti or Ulberti. They make some moderate, and some really hi end muzzleloaders, SXS shotguns, and BP pistols. The craftsmanship can be top notch but as always, the more $ the better the craftsmanship. Italian gunmaking is some of the best in the world now competing with some of the most famous British manufacturers.

But, we are talking about a fun gun:D

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The hammerless looks more functional (faster) to me, but I don't care as much as other folks do about aesthetics. And it's all about what you're more comfartable with.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DAMMIT!!! :pissed:

In Bulbboy's thread, he had me convinced that the Cimarron 1878 was a better scattergun than the Remington SPR220.

I just called Cimarron and talked with them. The 1878 Coachgun is imported from...*gasp*

CHINA!!! [Broken External Image] :cry3:

Now I ask you. Humble and honest OSA brethren and brethrenettes. Am I being silly? Is a Chinese made scattergun just as good as a Russian or Brazillian made one? When I hear "Made in China" all I can think about is cheaply made things such as rubber dogshit and other novelties. When you think of a Russian made product, it's usually a precision instrument. Right?

Basically, the only thing I like about the Cimarron 1878 over the Remington SPR220 is the bigger hammers and the lack of a manual safety.

Is this stupid or what? Should I just forget about my Chinese phobia and get one? H&H can order me one for about $400 +/-. Or should I go ahead and go with the Remington? It's been discontinued, so there's a parts problem to worry about there. Or should I go with the Brazillian made Stoeger? My local toy store is a stocking Stoeger dealer, but the Stoeger doesn't have external hammers. I want external hammers.

I'm in a world of ****. :grumble:

Whaddaya think? :anyone:

I tell ya...I just don't know what to do. :scream:

Latest posts

Top Bottom