Hammered? Or hammerless?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DAMMIT!!! :pissed:

In Bulbboy's thread, he had me convinced that the Cimarron 1878 was a better scattergun than the Remington SPR220.

I just called Cimarron and talked with them. The 1878 Coachgun is imported from...*gasp*

CHINA!!! [Broken External Image] :cry3:

Now I ask you. Humble and honest OSA brethren and brethrenettes. Am I being silly? Is a Chinese made scattergun just as good as a Russian or Brazillian made one? When I hear "Made in China" all I can think about is cheaply made things such as rubber dogshit and other novelties. When you think of a Russian made product, it's usually a precision instrument. Right?

Basically, the only thing I like about the Cimarron 1878 over the Remington SPR220 is the bigger hammers and the lack of a manual safety.

Is this stupid or what? Should I just forget about my Chinese phobia and get one? H&H can order me one for about $400 +/-. Or should I go ahead and go with the Remington? It's been discontinued, so there's a parts problem to worry about there. Or should I go with the Brazillian made Stoeger? My local toy store is a stocking Stoeger dealer, but the Stoeger doesn't have external hammers. I want external hammers.

I'm in a world of ****. :grumble:

Whaddaya think? :anyone:

I tell ya...I just don't know what to do. :scream:
Personally I'd grab the Remy if you can locate one. They may make them again someday. I'm kind of like you on the Chinese imports. Some things are quite good and others? Well not so much. The russian stuff I personally would trust a lot more, though not as much as ours and a lot of Europe.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally I'd grab the Remy if you can locate one. They may make them again someday. I'm kind of like you on the Chinese imports. Some things are quite good and others? Well not so much. The russian stuff I personally would trust a lot more, though not as much as ours and a lot of Europe.

Yeah...I think you're right.

If it just wasn't for that damned safety. :grumble: I had no idea it automatically went to safe after you open and close it each and every time. :pissed:

That's damn near a deal breaker for me. :ugh2:

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah...I think you're right.

If it just wasn't for that damned safety. :grumble: I had no idea it automatically went to safe after you open and close it each and every time. :pissed:

That's damn near a deal breaker for me. :ugh2:

Not sure on the Remington but this is supposed to be very easy to remove on the Stoegers. I would expect it would be on the Remington since there really can't be too many variations of the safety.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure on the Remington but this is supposed to be very easy to remove on the Stoegers. I would expect it would be on the Remington since there really can't be too many variations of the safety.

But if it was removed, wouldn't there be a big gaping hole where the safety was? :anyone:

That's not really an answer to the problem...is it? :scratch: I mean - it sorta is. It disengages the safety, but...what about the device/button itself? Is there some way to disengage it but leave the slider intact...just unopperable? :ugh2:

Is that such a word? Or is it INopperable. :lookaroun

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like Chinese food so I'm at least trying one of their guns!! Its cheap, so I won't lose too much for trying it! Plus, I could be reuniting my other electronics with some long lost family...

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Chinese food so I'm at least trying one of their guns!! Its cheap, so I won't lose too much for trying it! Plus, I could be reuniting my other electronics with some long lost family...

Hmmm...ok. Be sure and let me know what you think. Hell, I might hafta come to T-town with some shells and give her a whirl...if you don't mind. ;)

I can wait a little while on buying one. I don't even have enough scratch yet anyways. I'm about a C-note away. :rolleyes2

My scattergun decision rests with you Kevin. If you think its a goodun' then it must be. :thumb: Who knows. You may hate it and I may fall in love with it and give you your money back fer it.

We'll see. :naughty:

bratch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But if it was removed, wouldn't there be a big gaping hole where the safety was? :anyone:

That's not really an answer to the problem...is it? :scratch: I mean - it sorta is. It disengages the safety, but...what about the device/button itself? Is there some way to disengage it but leave the slider intact...just unopperable? :ugh2:

Is that such a word? Or is it INopperable. :lookaroun

From the little that I've looked into it you're making it where it doesn't automatically engage the safety. The slider is still there and I want to stay it still works as a safety when manually engaged. Like I said its been years since I've looked into it so I might be remembering something a little wrong. A quick google should clear it up.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Remington is a turkish Baikal imported by Remington. I have shot the SPR310 (O/U) and it had both Remington and Baikal branded on it.

I don't have an opinion on either, because I haven't shot them, just figured I'd let you know.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My scattergun decision rests with you Kevin. If you think its a goodun' then it must be. :thumb: Who knows. You may hate it and I may fall in love with it and give you your money back fer it.

We'll see. :naughty:

I know nothing about rifles and shotguns - don't listen to me!! It was on the list and SportsWorld said they could get it - so there we go. If I don't like it - I'll just sell it for a loss here like everything else I sell!

Latest posts

Top Bottom