Handguns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gene? I am searching my memory banks...Are you referring to the chicken house snake, the lizard, that wild flowering plant outside, or that dog, Scruffy? You know, 5 acres doesn't sound like much, but you get a pretty good collection of "friends" out here among the plant and animal populations, haha! I'm always inclined to post pics of them, too!

I have over the years arrived at a conclusion which is based on target practice involving paper targets at distance and solid objects up close. Also this conclusion is based on news coverage events involving Police shootings. A single handgun may not cover all of the bases. A semi has a distinct advantage in fast reloads, there are no two ways about it. I can't see my self getting into a television styled gunfight, but almost always the adversary will have a semi. To try to engage a threat that is armed with a high capacity semi while defending yourself with a revolver is putting oneself at a distinct disadvantage. Hence the need to carry a semi. But the revolver has an advantage, also. It can shoot really, really big, heavy bullets.

If say, I were being robbed, up close and personal, and it was obvious that the assailants were going to shoot me afterward, would I want to shoot with my semi, or my Alaskan? If I shoot with the 9mm, I am certain I will be shot also. Everyone will end up being shot. If I shoot with the Alaskan, loaded with 320 grain hardcast, I believe I have a better chance of a one shot stop, at point blank range.

I am skeptical about magic bullets and also of perps standing still long enough to allow for that well aimed head shot.

What I carry is a semi for self defense at distance, and a big bore snubbie as a get'em off ya. My semi is a military issue meant for FMJ ball, and that is what it is loaded with. My snubbie is loaded with heavy, very heavy flat nosed hard cast.

Although I am fine with stand your ground. I am more of a save my ass man.

I am set on getting a 454 Alaskan. Just waiting on the email from Bud's...

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of snubbies but I am a huge fan of .44 magnums (and .22 magnum and .357 magnum), the 3" Ruger GP100 is about as short as I like but that Ruger Alaskan is very, very sweet, I would love to try one in .454 Casull (also because I'm a huge fan of the .45 Colt).

How's Gene? I saw nobody asked and I hate to see him get left out.

I want to show you something. It is a fanny pack made by Voodoo Tactical. Let me shoot some pics and download it for you. I will add the pics to this post in a edit.

i.imgur.com_iJuJIyx.jpg

i.imgur.com_EF7kVo6.jpg

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, I heartily advocate this fanny pack. I know a lot of women carry in their purses. I work in a predominantly female environment and they leave their purses in the break room often wide open with money showing. There are wall lockers available, and plenty of them, but they remain unused. There is no need for a handgun to be left unattended in a purse. This fanny pack can accommodate a large frame snubnose. The wearer can have her Alaskan on her at all times, perfectly concealed.

i.imgur.com_0p38v2q.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am posting this pic a second time, because you can see a spare mag for the Makarov above the Alaskan. This is worth noting because the Alaskan is the go to, and the Makarov is the BUG. There are five extra Makarov mags in this fanny pack. The Makarov is carried deep concealed in a Kangaroo.

i.imgur.com_0p38v2q.jpg

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i.imgur.com_h8MOZsX.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

I Cerakote Makarov! Pretty good bang for the buck! $125 and my Cold War baby is ready for action!

i.imgur.com_YhG0uCr.jpg

i.imgur.com_cK4Miou.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Hey! That's pretty cool, General!

i.imgur.com_8PPXA2l.jpg

i.imgur.com_8FOu1MZ.jpg_c4ca4238a0b923820dcc509a6f75849b.jpg

Cerakote is way to go, baby! Now my Makarovs never rust!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom