Happy Veterans day to the ones who "Didn't do anything"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's to all you vets!

Today is Veteran's day. We set this day aside to remember the men who have served in our Armed forces. Memorial day is set aside to honor those who have fallen, but this day is for the living. We often think of the men who did unbelievable things. Things that are "Above and beyond the call of duty". These men are heroes, we should never forget the things they did. The sacrifices they made, and still are making should never be far from our memory.

I hope to honor a different group of veterans on this veterans day though. I want to honor those who when asked, would say "I didn't really do anything" The pilots who flew fighters or bombers during World War Two were men of great courage, but their courage would have done little good without men on the ground dedicated to the service, maintenance and repair of the aircraft. Often aircraft would return from a raid, shot up and in need of hours of repair. The men would work through the night to get the craft ready for missions by the next morning. We see men stream off of landing ships, hitting the beach and enduring withering fire, but what of the courage of the men who drove the llanding craft? Making trip after trip, taking waves of fighting men to the beach, and taking the wounded from the beach and getting them to the hospital ships. They would go days without sleep, ferrying men and supplies to the beach. What a waste the courage of the fighting men would have been without the ammunition and supplies delivered by the tireless workers and drivers of the landing ships. How many wounded would have died if they had not been dilligent to get them to the hospital ships as fast as possible?

No matter when or where they served, if they did their job, and did it properly they deserve all the gratitude we can muster. The soldiers in harms way are incredible men of valor, but if a radio operator fails to properly relay coordinates then the artillery fire that those soldiers need to survive might not hit the enemy. Or even worse, it might hit the good guys. Or what about the men high overhead, riding along completely safe in the cabin of a B1B Lancer. When the call for air support comes in, one wrong number in the coordinates programmed into a JDAM and the 1,000 pound bomb will not destroy the enemy strong hold, but will cause massive casualties among friendly forces.

The next time you talk to someone who served, and they tell you they "Didn't do anything" shake their hand. It doesn't matter wether they were the cook on a Submarine, an infantry man who never fired his weapon, a National Gaurdsmen who never deployed, a Navy seaman who spent his time in service as a steward, or a Marine who spent his time training others. The bottom line to it is they enlisted in the service of their country. They could have been sent anywhere and asked to do anything. Many of them do jobs that they could do in the civilian world for twice the amount of money they make while serving.

On this Veteran's day shed a tear for the ones who aren't here to celebrate, give honor to the ones who walked into harm's way and by the grace of God made it back. Never forget though, behind each fighting man is chain of support and service people doing the best they can to ensure he has what he needs to win the day. They also deserve our deepest gratitude.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very well said. Lots of folks don't realize that for every man(or woman) on the front line, it takes at least 5 support personnel to keep them in service.(transportation, communication, supply, maintainence, medical, logistics, inteligence, tactical command) A LOT of things have to take place for a Soldier/Marine to put rounds down range.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very well said. Lots of folks don't realize that for every man(or woman) on the front line, it takes at least 5 support personnel to keep them in service.(transportation, communication, supply, maintainence, medical, logistics, inteligence, tactical command) A LOT of things have to take place for a Soldier/Marine to put rounds down range.

I just wish there was more time outside of initial training I truly did more of my job. I think in 6 years it was about 2 weeks truly.

sadly a good commo squad was seen as extra bodies and man power for anything else no matter what. Especially as once we got everything up and running we made sure it stayed that way.

I spent more time playing other roles (working with MPs, engineer (combat and non) maintenance, and supply) than anything else.

yet never got to play in the sandbox

on topic thanks for the recognition and thank you to all other service members current and prior.

Latest posts

Top Bottom