HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work part time for part of the year for $35k. Not too shabby. You can get to Texas and Arkansas from OKC in 3 hours. I don't think that is an unreasonable drive to make after gettting off of your part time, part year job on Friday afternoon. It is public service after all.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They work part time for part of the year for $35k. Not too shabby. You can get to Texas and Arkansas from OKC in 3 hours. I don't think that is an unreasonable drive to make after gettting off of your part time, part year job on Friday afternoon. It is public service after all.

Ok, smartypants, I tell you what. You now have a second job. For several months out of the year, you will have all your time soaked up writing papers, doing research, answering countless phone calls and emails. You will have a few people out there who appreciate you, and a LOT of people who just want to yell at you for things you can't directly control. Everyone else you hear from will be second guessing your every decision and calling you unprintable names. Oh, and you have to drive to Miami, OK to do it. And if you're not there 5 days out of the week, we'll yell at you about that, too.

Still want that second job? :P

If this post doesn't hold up under scrutiny, it's because I hit the Quick Reply button. There doesn't appear to be a Thoughtful Reply button anywhere.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol, I have a full time job, and two small businesses. I keep forgetting they don't know what the requirements are for part of the year when they run for public office.

And when do they get around to the answering calls and emails part of the job???

People already call me unprintable names...like girl-woman-wussy. Oh Dr Tad how I miss you.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If this post doesn't hold up under scrutiny, it's because I hit the Quick Reply button. There doesn't appear to be a Thoughtful Reply button anywhere.

Mind if I use that quote?! :rotflmao:

That's the best thing I have read on here in a while!

vdub

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, smartypants, I tell you what. You now have a second job. For several months out of the year, you will have all your time soaked up writing papers, doing research, answering countless phone calls and emails. You will have a few people out there who appreciate you, and a LOT of people who just want to yell at you for things you can't directly control. Everyone else you hear from will be second guessing your every decision and calling you unprintable names. Oh, and you have to drive to Miami, OK to do it. And if you're not there 5 days out of the week, we'll yell at you about that, too.

Still want that second job? :P

No one forced them to take the job!! As long as some of them have been in their position I cannot help but think that it is not really that bad or they would have stop seeking re-election by now. I am sure at first they have the best intentions but eventually get around to ignoring most people.

C

Col. Ludlow

This guy has never tried to dig a tiny mousegun out of a "smart carry", has he? That time take to "consider My responsive action during a life-threatning situation" is the time I am getting more beat, more cut, more shot or more killed....

I guess several have missed my point. So I'll expand upon it. I guess I don't really disagree that it should be a citizen's right to open carry. I meant that open carry is not an intelligent way to protect yourself and your family. Uniformed officers are already marked to stand out, and their identification as law enforcement furthers the penalties for confrontation with them, and ups the deterrent level. They should be openly armed.

Regular citizens not in uniform openly presenting a firearm raise more questions than answers. Is this person trained properly? Are they hot-headed? Why are they displaying a weapon? Does he think I just looked at his wife? What if he's on medication?

I think we will see most people in public shy away from open carry individuals. These people carrying a weapon may incorrectly interpret this as a sign of respect, or unnecessary fear, however the typical attitude will be to treat them similar to the way one would treat a teenager in a car with a super loud radio. Its not something rational, and the potential for argument is present, so just step away from them and try to go the other way.

For someone to open carry in a general setting, like say, a Wal-Mart, I think that person is going to have a borderline autistic syndrome very similar to that of the young man with the loud stereo, or large spoiler on the back of his Honda Civic. You are pretending to be something that you are not.

You are definitely not going to be fast drawing on someone in the nick of time to save the day. In most circumstances, if you are worthy of carrying a firearm, your awareness will alert you if someone is about to threaten you (Jeff Cooper stuff). The situation I mention of 'having more time to consider one's options from concealment' means that if I'm in line at the grocery store, and some guy starts waving a gun at the cashier, I'm going to have the option of turning around with my family, and leaving out the back door. If that route is blocked, then yes, I do actually have a Kel Tec P3at in my pocket. Or, if I think a clear opportunity is present, I may end the confrontation. It is my option.

See that's why I carry a gun. I am not law enforcement, and I do not want to pretend to be. I carry a gun everyday, everywhere, for the sole purpose of making it back home to my family. And if I were in the lane next to the one being robbed, and suddenly a gunfight erupted between the robber and some plainclothes citizen, I'd be pretty ticked off at both of them. If you guys want to pretend you're action heroes, well, if I see you open carrying, like I mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep my distance. Because trouble is going to follow you, not me.

C

Col. Ludlow

I try HARD never to flame anybody. I've had my share of stupidity that was posted before I thought thoroughly. Howerver, that's one of the GD dumbest things I've ever seen.

You guys are not hurting my feelings. I completely disagree with the logic of open carry, and I have tried to further illustrate it. I will continue to participate in this discussion, and I have thick skin. The issue is you take your options off the table when you go from concealed carry to open. You present yourself as an unqualified deterrent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom