HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we actually need SB1733 in order to get permitted open carry and HB2522 to get ammunition in the parking lot, notice at first opportunity, etc. Correct, we need both bills to pass?

We only need to have SB1733 pass and get signed into law. SB1733 contains the same things that are in HB2522.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hrdware, I did read through the entire engrossed bill, and I could swear that the language converting the "concealed" license to a "gun license" was in there.

No. The first 8 pages are the engrossed amendment to HB2522. The rest of the pages are the engrossed version of HB2522. Note that the senate amendment does not contain any language about open carry with a permit, thereby removing open carry from the engrossed house version. The Senate amendment does not get merged with the house engrossed version.

Think of it this way, they are sending back 2 documents, the original HB2522 as it came out of the house, and the senate markup version. The senate markup version does not contain any open carry provision other than on your own property.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we need to keep track of the double dealing then. Most folks OC on private acerage..or inside the confines of a house now anyway.... we need to make sure we keep the bill on topic GENERAL OPEN CARRY IN PLACES WERE IT"S LEGAL TO CC NOW.

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
we need to keep track of the double dealing then. Most folks OC on private acerage..or inside the confines of a house now anyway.... we need to make sure we keep the bill on topic GENERAL OPEN CARRY IN PLACES WERE IT"S LEGAL TO CC NOW.

Currently it is illegal to open carry outside of your home, on your own property, in most incorporated cities in the state.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No. The first 8 pages are the engrossed amendment to HB2522. The rest of the pages are the engrossed version of HB2522. Note that the senate amendment does not contain any language about open carry with a permit, thereby removing open carry from the engrossed house version. The Senate amendment does not get merged with the house engrossed version.

Think of it this way, they are sending back 2 documents, the original HB2522 as it came out of the house, and the senate markup version. The senate markup version does not contain any open carry provision other than on your own property.

So, you are saying the amendment that precedes the engrossed bill gets "processed" against the engrossed bill, and therefore deletes some of the OC language that does appear in the engrossed bill, correct?

hrdware

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, you are saying the amendment that precedes the engrossed bill gets "processed" against the engrossed bill, and therefore deletes some of the OC language that does appear in the engrossed bill, correct?

Sort of. The "Senate Amendment" is not really an amendment. It is a "markup", if you will, of the language the Senate wants/will allow. If you give me a document, instead of me marking it up and giving it back to you, I just retype it and give you both copies back. The one that I typed up, is what I think should be the text of the document. This is what has happened. They are returning the House document, along with the Senate document so the House can compare the 2 and decide if the Senate version is an acceptable replacement. If it is, then they pass it and the Senate version goes to the governor. If not, they either send it to conference committee to sort out the 2 engrossed versions, or they let it die.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh. Let's just make sure we update our "naughty list" of legislators who took the opportunity to use a bill the People wanted to settle scores and play games...whether or not this passes.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Currently it is illegal to open carry outside of your home, on your own property, in most incorporated cities in the state.

Understood... some of us have "backyards" with cattle and coyotes...

I do understand the law... but there are just so many places in a rural state were it never has a chance to be enforced ....I'd never get away with it on a city sized lot.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like conference committee time!

LENS said:
Current status of measure(s) you are tracking:
&nbsp
HB2522 &nbsp Firearms; clarifying manner in which firearms may be carried by handgun licensees; effective date.
4/26/2012 H SA's rejected, conference requested, naming Conference Committee on Public Safety, Judiciary and Military Affairs

Latest posts

Top Bottom