HD Shotgun questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been thinking about making my 870 into a more dedicated home/self defense shotgun. It's a 870 express super magnum. Which brings up a few issues.

First off, I've heard people say that the standard 870 forend wont work with the super mag. So I'm going to save some money and just keep the factory wood forend. But I want a picatinny rail to mount a vertical grip. Does anyone know if I can just buy a bolt-on rail and mount it to the wood forend? Will this be sturdy enough? (3.5" buck/slugs)

Also I can't decide if I want to just lop off the barrel or have it sent off and cut and re-threaded for chokes. What would you do?

Next up; I really want a bayonet mount. I'm building this to be a real no-nonsense HD gun, but I want a little tacticoolness for the skeet range. Does anyone have experience with a shotgun mounted bayonet?

I really like a bead site on a shotgun, it's less to break. But I would rather buy a sidesaddle/top rail now than, down the road decide to switch over. So do you think a reflex sight/red dot is a valuable addition to a shotty? or should I stick with a fiber optic like tru-glo?

Is the express trigger group that bad? or should I find a police/wingmaster style trigger group?

Extractor upgrades? Worth it?

Also what paint would you use on a gun barrel that might get hot?

Thanks y'all.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright, so I've been thinking about making my 870 into a more dedicated home/self defense shotgun. It's a 870 express super magnum. Which brings up a few issues.

First off, I've heard people say that the standard 870 forend wont work with the super mag. So I'm going to save some money and just keep the factory wood forend. But I want a picatinny rail to mount a vertical grip. Does anyone know if I can just buy a bolt-on rail and mount it to the wood forend? Will this be sturdy enough? (3.5" buck/slugs)

Also I can't decide if I want to just lop off the barrel or have it sent off and cut and re-threaded for chokes. What would you do?

Next up; I really want a bayonet mount. I'm building this to be a real no-nonsense HD gun, but I want a little tacticoolness for the skeet range. Does anyone have experience with a shotgun mounted bayonet?

I really like a bead site on a shotgun, it's less to break. But I would rather buy a sidesaddle/top rail now than, down the road decide to switch over. So do you think a reflex sight/red dot is a valuable addition to a shotty? or should I stick with a fiber optic like tru-glo?

Is the express trigger group that bad? or should I find a police/wingmaster style trigger group?

Extractor upgrades? Worth it?

Also what paint would you use on a gun barrel that might get hot?

Thanks y'all.

1. I would steer clear of mounting a synthetic pistol grip onto a wooden forearm. I'm thinking that'll look kinda dorky. :rolleyes2

2. You do realize that if you go any shorter than 18" on the barrel, you have just turned your standard shotgun into an SBS (Short Barrel Shotgun) and it requires a $200 tax stamp from the ATF along with all of their red tape ********.

3. A bayonet mount? What the hell for? Are you gonna put a bayonet on it? If it's gonna be a "dedicated" HD scattergun like you said, why in the hell would you wanna get close enough to the scrote to jab him with a bayonet? :ooh2: Besides...try explaining that one to the judge and jury. :yikes2:

4. A side-saddle is a good idea. Fancy sights are not. It's a shotgun for Christ's sake! Point and shoot! :ugh2:

5. I would leave the trigger group that's currently in it, in it. :thumb:

6. Again...why change out what works just fine? If it ain't broke - don't fix it! :slap:

7. Why would you paint it? :scratch: What's wrong with the color it is right now? :anyone:

Of course, this is just my opinion. YMMV. I like my scatterguns plain and simple. :respect:

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... GED just laid it down. :)

You also got to remember too that if you want a dual purpose shotgun that you can take to the skeet range... you don't want it to be too short.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GED, calm down there fella. We all know how you like your scatterguns.
I think he should do all of the above, then post pics. LOL

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
K.I.S.S. is my moto for sure....

No fancy sites on my Remington 870 Express Tactical. I have a set of Wilson ghost rings on mine, I plan on addind a side saddle provided I can find one I like that is all I have planned for my HD shotgun.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided not to go any shorter than 18.5", so that I can add a mag extension, and I don't want the hassle of filling out a form 5320.20 every time I wanna go back to visit in Texas.

The bayonet is just a want thing, and not really worth the 80 dollar mount to me. I just like the idea of a "trench gun" but without formal bayonet training I wouldn't trust myself to use one.

I say shooting skeet because I feel like it's a great way to familiarize one's self with a shotgun. That's another reason I'm thinking of getting it re-threaded for chokes, so I can still it a squirrel or hog or clay pigeon.

I think I'll stick to a basic side saddle w/o rail

Does anyone know of forend with rails that will work with a super mag? or was what I read wrong and any rail will work? If I was to keep the wood I would paint it black. I have to agree walnut with a M1913 rail and stubby VFG would look funny.

The paint will probably go on parts besides the barrel. Once agian aesthetics are somewhat important, and I want a OD green/black gun.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About your 3.5 inch buck/slugs - I read that some police departments are going to "tactical" 12 gauge slugs that feature reduced recoil from standard loads, and nobody is using 3"magnum loads. Faster recovery for the next shot, plenty of power to punch through car doors and windshields, and long range is not a factor.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know. I've hunted hog with federal tactical slugs. They're plenty.. I'm just saying that I'm not going to own a 3.5" gun and not shoot 3.5" loads. So the set up will need to be able to take it on occasion. Believe me, I don't wanna touch off a full house 00 buck half asleep.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided not to go any shorter than 18.5", so that I can add a mag extension, and I don't want the hassle of filling out a form 5320.20 every time I wanna go back to visit in Texas.
Just so you know, you could fill out a 5320.20 for up to 1 year at a time so that you could back and forth to TX as you please. You could even put a >18" barrel on it and transport without any paperwork.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just so you know, you could fill out a 5320.20 for up to 1 year at a time so that you could back and forth to TX as you please. You could even put a >18" barrel on it and transport without any paperwork.

CAR, you have once agian inspired me to get a stamp. ....but my dreams of a bayonet...:cry11: lolz

Latest posts

Top Bottom