HD Shotgun Round???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this shotgun round. 12ga Expanding slug. 1 1/8 oz. Write up on the website talks about how it is great for hunting, knock down, low penetration, doesn't hurt meat 'cuz it stops the heart almost immediately, splinters travel all about wrecking organs, etc etc.

What about home defense. if you took out an intruder with one of these would a DA feel obligated to prosecute based on the choice of round used?

http://www.jgsales.com/12ga-dduplek...ng-slug,-1-1-8oz,-2.75in.-5rd-box-p-4297.html
www_jgsales_com_product_thumb_php_7192247a3fbbb2e6c36ae5e43809cc70._.jpg

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this shotgun round. 12ga Expanding slug. 1 1/8 oz. Write up on the website talks about how it is great for hunting, knock down, low penetration, doesn't hurt meat 'cuz it stops the heart almost immediately, splinters travel all about wrecking organs, etc etc.

I don't know about the DA's opinion, but if I had to pick metal splinters out of my gums after biting into a venison burger, I wouldn't be too pleased.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO go with low recoil 00 buckshot. Go with 2-3/4, forget the 3 inch shells. Shot recovery is quicker with the milder recoil, you get one extra shot (in most cases), and the bad guy won't be able to tell a difference. Plus maybe you'll only be partial deaf afterwards, the 3" shells might blow your eardrums out in a hallway.

Couple of other suggestion would be, make sure you have a stock on your pump to assist with putting lead on target, and to use as a last ditch weapon. At self defense ranges your spread will probably be around 2-3" max, so stockless pistol grip shotty will come into play. If possible shot from a kneeling position so your point will be aiming up to minimize over penetration issues with a missed placed shot.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO, the theory of intensified DA prosecution due to ammo choice is a figment of certain "expert, paid witnesses" who are popular in the gun rags.

I'd use it if it was tested and showed to be a better performer than what's already out there.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO go with low recoil 00 buckshot. Go with 2-3/4, forget the 3 inch shells. Shot recovery is quicker with the milder recoil, you get one extra shot (in most cases), and the bad guy won't be able to tell a difference. Plus maybe you'll only be partial deaf afterwards, the 3" shells might blow your eardrums out in a hallway.

Couple of other suggestion would be, make sure you have a stock on your pump to assist with putting lead on target, and to use as a last ditch weapon. At self defense ranges your spread will probably be around 2-3" max, so stockless pistol grip shotty will come into play. If possible shot from a kneeling position so your point will be aiming up to minimize over penetration issues with a missed placed shot.

Great post.

In some reviews I saw that the low recoil 00 buck had a tighter shot pattern than regular 00 as well. The theory was that it disturbed the wad and shot column less when it exited the muzzle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great post.

In some reviews I saw that the low recoil 00 buck had a tighter shot pattern than regular 00 as well. The theory was that it disturbed the wad and shot column less when it exited the muzzle.

Low recoil, is lower velocity resulting in less shot deformation, that equals less penetration especially in the winter with heavy clothing.

Personally, I'm going with the high velocity premium
Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote 12 Ga. 2 3/4 " 1 1/8 oz, #00
Tungsten shot that is heavier than lead, and harder than lead. Greater penetration than lead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom