HD Shotgun Round???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i have not read all the info on diff shotgun rounds but at close range (inside a home unless you live in a mansion) I am not sure it makes that much diff with a 12 ga. We used to shoot outdoors at wagner and we would always DESTROY the wood or boxes or whatever we were using as targets when we were ready to leave even quail loads seem pretty devistating at 5yrds

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
High performance "low recoil" 12 gauge shot does not mean "low performance", it will leave the bad guy DRT. If any one wants to grab a couple of their thickest jackets and volunteer to be our guinea pig to test between the two different shells, by all means be our guest.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barnes makes a shotgun slug that expands rapidly, but stays together. A Federal rep told me that their 3 inch round using the Barnes slug will penetrate 48 inches of ballistic gel. Probably not for home defense, but a great big bear round.

That said, buckshot is a better choice. Personally, I like 32 pellets of #4 buck in a AA case--forget the powder, haven't needed to load any for a good while. It is also a great crane load. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
High performance "low recoil" 12 gauge shot does not mean "low performance", it will leave the bad guy DRT. If any one wants to grab a couple of their thickest jackets and volunteer to be our guinea pig to test between the two different shells, by all means be our guest.

Physics doesn't lie, and FBI ballistics back it up.

BTW for any that are concerned, and have never tested it themselves, instead relying on keyboard commando's (I'm not pointing a finger at anybody, just general info)
You will find that in the distance of a hallway, most likely 20 feet or less, the shot will not be over 2-3" in diameter. One can buy a rifled choke, or a diffuser choke to actually make the shot, be it 00 or #4 and actually make a pattern at those close ranges.

Here is another fact, and you can see the photo's I posted a while back in a thread about the Taurus Judge vs a shotgun in a SD situation.
Actual range photo's showed that #4 shot fired from 15' from either the judge or the full length .410 shotgun, would not penetrate the cheap safety glasses we get issued at work. I can imagine how innefective it would be againse a leather jacketed individual coming down a hallway.
BTW the average velocity of a .410 is 200fps above a 12 guage.

1fast8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like i said before i dont even know how to spell ballistics but we always DESTROY the wood or boxes or whatever we are using for targets when we get done for the day even with bird shot at close range with a 12ga

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I would feel more comfortable when the DA did his investigation if I had used regular ammo such as can be bought at wally world 00 Buck for example.

Would hate to try to convince the DA that I had a legit reason for using ammo such as this even if it was self defense
http://www.firequest.com/G12-018.html

You probably believe the DA would come after you for using a gun with a trigger job to?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Arfcom has done a big time study of court records all over the US, and not one time did they find that a reloaded round, choke, HP ammo, whatever contributed to procecuting a SD case.

Urban legend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom