HD Shotgun Round???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huge difference between a trigger job and using exotic extra maiming ammo for self defense... You probably think a flame thrower would be ok to use ....... dude.

Well not in the house but maybe in the back yard. Save the State money from having to bury him. Just bag the ashes and toss them in the dumpster on the way out.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You will find that in the distance of a hallway, most likely 20 feet or less, the shot will not be over 2-3" in diameter. One can buy a rifled choke, or a diffuser choke to actually make the shot, be it 00 or #4 and actually make a pattern at those close ranges.

This is a good reminder for people to go pattern their shot/choke pattern on their HD Shotty.

It's not correct to say that at 20' that everyone can expect a 2"-3" pattern.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For HD, that slug is gilding the lilly. OO buck is cheap, absolutely adequate for HD and probably has limited potential for over penetration related injury to bystanders beyond the intended recipient of the pellets.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Type of ammo used can put you in prison!

A couple of years ago, i watched a special about a guy in AR that was hiking a trail, shot and killed what he said was an attacker and was using hollow points in a kimber .45.

He decided to go to trail because he knew it was self defense and he surely would be found innocent.

The result of the trial is that he was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

They interviewed the jurors and here is what they said: Women jurors said what helped them decide to vote for guilty, among other things, was the fact that the shooter used those vicious uncalled for hollow point bullets. That a guy using those bullets has to have had to be a bad guy and needed to be punished.

Now you and i will decide to use hollow points for all the understood reasons. BUT, you do not know what people on a jury will decide. Are they uninformed, not knowledgeable, defense attorney did a poor job explaining hollow points,
YES - all true but the result is that he is spending 10 years in jail.

One lady juror basically said that she voted guilty because anyone using hollow points and knowing the inhumane damage they do, had already decided and made preparations to take a life. Therefore he is guilty.

Give consideration that the jury, judge, and maybe defense attorney may not come to the same conclusion that you have about what type of defense cartridge to use.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw that story, and the comments of the jury. There were other mitigating circumstances that led to the conviction if I remember right.

There were appeals in progress, and I wonder how that came out. Inept representation by the defense attorney was one of the appeals.

One of our legal scholars could check in on this, and confirm that with the Castle Doctrine, this would not be possible in Okla in a SD situation.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

A couple of years ago, i watched a special about a guy in AR that was hiking a trail, shot and killed what he said was an attacker and was using hollow points in a kimber .45.

He decided to go to trail because he knew it was self defense and he surely would be found innocent.

They interviewed the jurors and here is what they said: Women jurors said what helped them decide to vote for guilty, among other things, was the fact that the shooter used those vicious uncalled for hollow point bullets. That a guy using those bullets has to have had to be a bad guy and needed to be punished.

One lady juror basically said that she voted guilty because anyone using hollow points and knowing the inhumane damage they do, had already decided and made preparations to take a life. Therefore he is guilty.

Harold Fish, it was a 10mm, one juror Meagan Elliot said: "The whole hollow point thing bothered me. That bullet is designed to do as much damage as absolutely possible. It’s designed to kill."
Thrown out on appeal in 2009 in part because the county attorney specifically prevented the detective on the case from pursuing anything that might have damaged a jury's view of the (deceased) aggressor.
Fish was railroaded; he would have still been in prison if he had killed the aggressor with marshmallows.
Arizona passed their castle doctrine within a couple of years, largely believed to be in response to the Fish conviction.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Now you and i will decide to use hollow points for all the understood reasons. BUT, you do not know what people on a jury will decide. Are they uninformed, not knowledgeable, defense attorney did a poor job explaining hollow points,

Give consideration that the jury, judge, and maybe defense attorney may not come to the same conclusion that you have about what type of defense cartridge to use.

A good shoot is a good shoot. Maybe not in AR (did you maybe mean AZ - the Fish incident happened there if that is the case being referred to).

Please post a cite. there must be more to the story.

Latest posts

Top Bottom