Headin to Colorado for some elk!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aturp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm finally gonna make it to Colorado to go elk huntin for the first time. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me besides get in shape, I've been working on that for a month now. I'll be goin to Uncompahgre which is just south of Grand Junction. I'll be there the week of Labor Day which I know is a little early but that is when the guys that I'm goin with decided to go. Thanks

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice area!!!

I have 40 acres up by Telluride. I use to live in the Cortez area and sure do miss it. I taught a few years(many, many, years ago) on the Navajo Reservation-around Shiprock and even further South around Gallup.

In the summer I'd pan for gold and fish for trout, in the fall I'd hunt for elk and deer.

Have fun!!

Cohiba

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I have some advice for you. Your posts will be better received if you share your elk with us when you get back. LOL. Have a great time.

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be in the best shape of your life

Get a high quality daypack, I use a badlands diablo, well worth it.

Have very good, uninsulated boots with lightweight wool socks and carry stuff to care for blisters. Take care of your feet.

take the best bino's you can afford, put them on a bino harness and glass constantly.

If your'e not already planning on getting way back in there by drop camp, consider backpacking in a half day's walk or so from the road and hunting out of a very lightweight camp. If there is any pressure, the elk will not be within easy walking distance of any road.

Good luck too ya!

I drew a limited bull tag for rifle this year. I tried one bowhunt, then decided to do rifle hunts until I connect on one, This will be my fourth try.

Oh, one more thing, take your target and sight your bow in up there. We found ours to be shooting high, thinner air I guess. Plus a few practice shots a day keeps you loosened up for the moment of truth.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Go a few days early to get acclimated to the altitude. You'll be glad you did.

Thats not true. Red and White blood cells will work normal the first 24 hours (hunt then if you can), after that the thin O2 lowers saturation in blood causing tiredness and weakness. Lots of stairs with a load and good high top boots with ankle support. I was a wild land firefighter in most of that area for 8 years and hunted in that same area. Can't tell you how many guys we flew off the side of the mountains with broken ankle and chest pain. Be sure to take a hand held GPS to mark camp, and where you are hunting, it's easy to get turned around....If you have any questions on stuff to take shoot me a PM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom