Heading out tomorrow and a question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oOVEGGIEOo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put some corn out last night. Realized on my way back to the truck I how many rubs I was running accross. Something very enthusiastic has been placing his mark down that path. Gonna be out there tomorrow, skipping work. Wind looks much better than it has been. I'm gonna go ahead a be confident....A deer will be down tomorrow by my hand. (well...my gun)

On a side note, my cousin says big bucks don't generally come into feeders during the daylight hours, says that they are smart enough to associate them with human movement. Anyone have any experience with this? I know deer are smart, and he has killed ALOT and some very awesome big bucks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had a lot of pics of big bucks on feeders. Lots of small ones. During rut when the bigguns are our cruising for does, they don't normally eat anyway. Best place to look is a funnel between the food source and bedding areas.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've noticed more buck pics on specific feeders that are deep in the bottoms, down in the nasty. Mostly at night regardless of location, but more day time pics at 2 specific feeders.

Patriot72

Marksman
Reaction score
I have a half dozen cameras out in various locations with feeders. Maybe 5-10% of my daytime pics are of bucks if I'm lucky. Most all the good ones in my area only show up after sunset.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think feeding causes deer to turn nocturnal, anywhere close to the feeder anyways. If you have a small piece of land, it does more harm than good IMO. If you have a lot of land and can hunt away from it, it might help.

I know a big lease full of guys, they have photo albums of bigger deer than I've ever seen at feeders. All at night. They all hunt over these feeders, and never see them in the daylight. I see more bucks than they do, even though they have more big bucks. You see a lot of the same thing on the internet too, including OSA. Feeder guys with no daylight pictures and saying they are seeing no deer.

A redneck autopsy revealed the buck I shot the other day to have corn in his stomach. We don't feed, and the nearest feeder is on the neighbors land a good distance away. I'd bet my left goober he never ate corn in the daylight after he was a yearling. He was definitely out of there before the sun came up the day I shot him, or they would have.

They can pattern people, Corn is always here, people are only here in the daytime. They're gonna hit it at night when it's safe. Just my opinion.

je4bowhuntin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i prefer a stand in the thick and just catch one cruising through. i will keep corn piles in thier for the does to keep interest in area and then hope they bring me a bidgboy

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On a side note, my cousin says big bucks don't generally come into feeders during the daylight hours, says that they are smart enough to associate them with human movement. Anyone have any experience with this? I know deer are smart, and he has killed ALOT and some very awesome big bucks.

I am saying he's right on that one. The big bucks I have seen this season have ALL been moving at night AFTER the hunters have gone home. My opinion is that they get to be big deer by being stupid. The dumb ones move around during the day and come into feeders. JMHO.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I think feeding causes deer to turn nocturnal, anywhere close to the feeder anyways. If you have a small piece of land, it does more harm than good IMO. If you have a lot of land and can hunt away from it, it might help.

I know a big lease full of guys, they have photo albums of bigger deer than I've ever seen at feeders. All at night. They all hunt over these feeders, and never see them in the daylight. I see more bucks than they do, even though they have more big bucks. You see a lot of the same thing on the internet too, including OSA. Feeder guys with no daylight pictures and saying they are seeing no deer.

A redneck autopsy revealed the buck I shot the other day to have corn in his stomach. We don't feed, and the nearest feeder is on the neighbors land a good distance away. I'd bet my left goober he never ate corn in the daylight after he was a yearling. He was definitely out of there before the sun came up the day I shot him, or they would have.

They can pattern people, Corn is always here, people are only here in the daytime. They're gonna hit it at night when it's safe. Just my opinion.

yep, my lease partners and i are talking about a "no feeder" year next year. we got to talking about it and there were more deer seen and just as many bucks seen or taken when we didn't feed. i think we will save out corn money and buy cameras.

Latest posts

Top Bottom