health insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Late last night or early this morning bcbs did take out my payment for insurance.So again I go to the doctors office to make an appointment.The receptionist tells me it still doesn't show up on the computer that I have insurance.I then go outside and call bcbs and tell them the problem.A bcbs guy calls the doctors receptionist and tells her I have paid for November and will give her a reference number stating that I have paid so I can get an appointment.The girl tells the bcbs guy that until it shows up on her computer that I have insurance I still can't see the doctor even though he has assured her I do have insurance.i tell the girl I seldom go to the doctor buy I woke up a few days ago and couldn't feel the left side of my face.And for several days I cannot close my left eye and when I smile the left side of my mouth doesn't move.I explain I don't know if I have had a stroke but that is why I am at the doctors office.

sandscards

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Your increase sounds really reasonable. BCBS for wife and me with $6000 deductible went from $725 in 2016 to $1425 in 2017. Going to go find my wife a job looks like the best alternative now.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late last night or early this morning bcbs did take out my payment for insurance.So again I go to the doctors office to make an appointment.The receptionist tells me it still doesn't show up on the computer that I have insurance.I then go outside and call bcbs and tell them the problem.A bcbs guy calls the doctors receptionist and tells her I have paid for November and will give her a reference number stating that I have paid so I can get an appointment.The girl tells the bcbs guy that until it shows up on her computer that I have insurance I still can't see the doctor even though he has assured her I do have insurance.i tell the girl I seldom go to the doctor buy I woke up a few days ago and couldn't feel the left side of my face.And for several days I cannot close my left eye and when I smile the left side of my mouth doesn't move.I explain I don't know if I have had a stroke but that is why I am at the doctors office.

It could be Bell's Palsy. Swelling on a nerve bundle that goes though a narrow passage. Cleared up with steroids.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's Bell's Palsy, almost guaranteed. Still should be seen by a provider, but if you have coverage, you can always go to Urgent Care or an ER. They won't take your card because people lie all the time. If they don't have a way to get paid, they ain't gonna see you, unless it's an ER.

Bell's Palsy CAN be helped with steroids, but it doesn't always work, and it doesn't always last. Sometimes it goes away forever, sometimes it recurs, sometimes it becomes chronic. Doesn't sound like a stroke to me, but then again, this is internet medicine, so take it for what it's worth, right?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope it IS Bell's Palsy. Our daughter had an incident of Bell's Palsy when she was in her early 20's. Scared the hell out of us.

You STILL need to see a provider ... get to the ER!

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to an ER last winter. After exam, labs, treatment. Zofran and 1000 cc of Normal Saline. And DX of intestinal gastritis. My co workers though I was having a heart attack. I told them I was not. Any hoo. Got a bill for 2400 bucks. My insurance has a 10,000 deduc. I was able to cut it in half after offering to pay cash. Thanks Obama.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to an ER last winter. After exam, labs, treatment. Zofran and 1000 cc of Normal Saline. And DX of intestinal gastritis. My co workers though I was having a heart attack. I told them I was not. Any hoo. Got a bill for 2400 bucks. My insurance has a 10,000 deduc. I was able to cut it in half after offering to pay cash. Thanks Obama.

If you want to know why it costs so much, think of this - you paid half of the billed cost. You're in the top 10% or more of ER payers. Most people pay less than 10%, and I'd estimate 25-50% pay zero. And those people utilize the ER many MANY times. THAT is what drives up costs and is running healthcare into the ground.

2AM:
My child has a fever of 101F. No, I didn't give them any medicine, I just brought them to the ER.
My child woke up and vomited once. No, no other symptoms.
My back has been hurting for about a year. No, I haven't taken anything - Tylenol and ibuprofen "don't work on me".
I need a note to go back to work. No, I WAS sick, now I'm fine, I just need a work note.
I have had nausea, vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours.
I have had a sore throat since 3PM.
I have had this itchy mild rash for 2 weeks and I don't know what it is. No, no other symptoms.
I think my child has the mumps. (a virus basically only treated symptomatically)
I think my child has the chicken pox (a virus basically treated symptomatically)
I've been coughing for 2 weeks.

All of these are not only true stories, but true REPETITIVE stories at all hours of the day and night. Not a single one of these people will pay a single thin dime for their ER visit, the massive, multi-thousand-dollar workups they demand and feel entitled to just because they don't feel well.

There is no accountability for patients, insured or not.
There is no reasonable restraint.
There is no reason for them NOT to utilize the ER constantly for mild, chronic or acute complaints that my mother and her mother and her mother's mother treated at home for generations. Now everyone thinks they need to rush to the ER.

That's why your bill was $2,400 for a simple stomach virus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom