health insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A crazy thought........ maybe ER should only accept patients via ambulance or Air Evac, etc? No walk ins? Maybe that could week out some BS. Make the hospital define what an emergency is. Minor Emergency/Urgent Care could then take care of the "minor emergencies". Not sure what it's like there, but people will call 911 for a broken ankle around here, as well as last week's bloody stool, constipation, severe head ache, dislocated finger............

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
A crazy thought........ maybe ER should only accept patients via ambulance or Air Evac, etc? No walk ins? Maybe that could week out some BS. Make the hospital define what an emergency is. Minor Emergency/Urgent Care could then take care of the "minor emergencies". Not sure what it's like there, but people will call 911 for a broken ankle around here, as well as last week's bloody stool, constipation, severe head ache, dislocated finger............

Hmmmm.... hard to discern if you are being facetious or not. Oh well.

<edit> I pay ~$850/month for my family's health insurance. You know why I don't go to the ER unless something is sticking out or sticking in? Because I have a copay. $200 per visit, then whatever deductibles, etc.

Take a guess what our uninsured and Medicaid/Soonercare patients pay?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No I was being serious. There's got to be some way to filter an ER I would think. And yes we've been on calls where people have called 911 because they haven't crapped yet that day. "I always crap by 9am, it's 11am, I've taken a whole box of Ex Lax and nothing". Taken by ambulance, no lights or sirens.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yes. Constantly. I'd say 75% or more of patients in the ER are not truly emergencies.

I tell people 80% of my job is convincing people they're NOT sick. So many people WANT to be sick or their children to be sick... they aren't grateful to be given good news, they want to argue and complain. Oh well. It's a job, that's all it is. It's called Secondary Gain, and Social Media has helped it explode.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just checked on the penalty for NOT having health insurance. The formula for 2017 is not out yet but, based on last year's formula, the penalty for NOT having any health insurance would be less than one month's premium! That is, in my case. YMMV

That's exactly what I've done. When I was single it wasn't a big deal. Got married this summer and looking at getting on the wife's insurance through her school. To just add me (we have no kids) on her current plan it will go up 753 dollars a month. This shits outta control. I think I'll continue to pay the fine and hope I don't ever NEED health coverage. Paying out of pocket hasn't been to terrible yet. My local dr. Signed me up through mdsave I get a voucher number and my office visit is a flat fee. Around 70 dollars. No more than I go I think I'll continue to go that route.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my health care bill for next year. $21,000 a year for my wife and myself. This includes a 20% co pay and 3 thousand deductible (each). WTF? I sure hope this gets under control soon. I might be better off using this money and going to medical school.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my health care bill for next year. $21,000 a year for my wife and myself. This includes a 20% co pay and 3 thousand deductible (each). WTF? I sure hope this gets under control soon. I might be better off using this money and going to medical school.

Are you 60-64? Are you healthy? If so, I'd drop that like a rock and price out an high ded/HSA plan. If you're going to pay that much, you might as well be able to use it. 3K each isn't far off from that so you might as well if it will save you some money.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you 60-64? Are you healthy? If so, I'd drop that like a rock and price out an high ded/HSA plan. If you're going to pay that much, you might as well be able to use it. 3K each isn't far off from that so you might as well if it will save you some money.
My family's high deductible/HSA plan just went from $900 to $1,800.

mccullma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
62. fairly healthy. This is a retirement plan from my wife's old company. This does have vision and dental. Once we get off there is no going back on it. I think we will just drop the higher coverage and raise the deductible. Monthly is $1745. The other plan is $1125.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Interesting, I remember seeing a story about something very similar this Summer.

They're doing something like what your propose at OU Medical Center, watch the video.

Latest posts

Top Bottom