Help from AK shooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got my WASR at a gun show for an indiviual for $275. That rifle will flat get it with zero malfunctions. If you're not in a big hurry, you might ask these fellers carrying AKs at the gun show what they want for them.

I almost broke my wrist trying to get my billfold out when he said $275.

bitterdaze

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WASR 10/63 is a good, traditional AKM style rifle that can still be picked up new with an original chrome barrel for under $500. This is a great model to start with. They work well, though the finish may be a bit rough.

If you have any plans to get more than one AK rifle in the near future, the WASR is a great starter. You'll get to know the basics of the design and cartridge, and though it will function well, almost any other rifle you could add to your collection will have a much nicer finish than the WASR.

If you were buying a first car, would you get a Corolla or Lexus? The Corolla will solidly get you around for a modest price, and you'll appreciate the Lexus all the more later. Probably a bad analogy, but that's all I've got handy.:scratch:

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all! I feel a little better now about the WASR just need to do my homework and learn to look for any problems. Yes I will more than likely get more than one AK, matbe a 74. How about local shops that sell AK's? Bigboys seem to have the best price in the OKC area, but how about outside the
OKC area?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget the $200 stamp for the short barrel on an AMD-65, It has a 12.3" barrel.

But the SA-85 M is built from basicly the same materials but with a longer barrel and wooden stock.

I am building an SA-85 M right now.

You can get an FEG AMD-65 with a permanently attached 4" muzzle break.
Here's one for $399 with free shipping.
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/akagun-amd-2.aspx

I have an AMD, Arsenal SGL-21 (converted Saiga), and a MAK-90. Like all 3 of them equally, the MAK has the best trigger, the AMD is the most fun, and the Arsenal is the prettiest and most accurate. No failures with any of them.

If you go with a MAK you can get a traditional AK stock at www.ironwooddesigns.com.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get a WASR. That was my first AK. I own several AKs (see photo album) and I shoot the **** out of my current WASR with zero problems. I had several thousand rounds down the tube of my first WASR with zero problems and sold it for twice what I paid for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom