help ID ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filbert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found a bag of ammo in an ammo can and don't know the maker, or if it is corrosive, or reloadable. The primers are crimped in. Maybe you all can help. I did google it and haven't had a any luck. The head stamp says, 7.62 x 51, then is says MS 128-59. They are loose in a zip lock bag so I don't have a box to go by. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210813_094846.jpg
    20210813_094846.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210813_094553.jpg
    20210813_094553.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 47

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like West German firm of Manusaar for the MS. I've always seen them with MS XX-XX digits and not XXX-XX. You'd have to pull a bullet and see if it's boxer or berdan primed and that will tell you if it's reloadable.

I honestly don't know what makes ammo corrosive or non corrosive.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
Primers make them corrosive. It looks German..they like to crimp primers with those three stake marks. I think some other Europeans countries may do the same. I'm betting they are corrosive. Not a big deal, just make sure you clean your bore with Sweets or some other ammonia based cleaner.

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like West German firm of Manusaar for the MS. I've always seen them with MS XX-XX digits and not XXX-XX. You'd have to pull a bullet and see if it's boxer or berdan primed and that will tell you if it's reloadable.

I honestly don't know what makes ammo corrosive or non corrosive.
It’s the fulminated mercury in the primers that is corrosive. If you google mercuric or corrosive ammo, it may give you the year that particular ammo changed to non-mercvuric primers. It won’t hurt your firearms if you thoroughly clean the barrel/chambers with a good quality solvent after shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom