Help me pick a chainsaw

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to disagree on Echo quality dropping just because they are sold at box stores. There are quality products in both lines. I have an echo saw and its never given me a problem. Stihl is still probably the saw king around here due to popularity and sales/service locations. Some places Johnsred or Husky are still very popular. It really depends on how big a saw though as each has great products. The biggest thing is looking at the EPA rating sticker. All brands now sell entry level equipment including Stihl to hit a price point. They have 50 hour EPA compliance equipment. If you buy one of those its not going to last 15 years. Buy a 300hr rated machine and it will be a quality product. If its $50 more for a 150 or 300hr machine spend the extra money. Here are examples of what to look for. Also pure gas only and quality oil are the most important things for a 2 cycle to last.

upload_2020-10-28_19-50-52.png

upload_2020-10-28_19-51-33.png

Last edited:

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Dewalt 20v chainsaw. It comes in super handy around the woodshop as I mill my own lumber, and I prefer cleaning up my cottonwood limbs with it around the house after every measurable amount of wind. It runs quite a long time on a 6ah battery. That being said, it won't do heavy work. It struggles through green mesquite, so the stihl is my go-to. Big box stores have "exclusive" models built cheap for max profits at a lower price point. Definitely hit the local outdoor equipment store or hit your local atwoods. They don't have the buying power for knockoff tools.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like Stihl. I also like the bar to be no longer than it must be. I rebarred my old Stihl 029 a couple years ago. I think specs say it’s capable of running a 20”. The old one was an 18”. I put a 16” on it and it flat out saws a log now. I’ve got an old 028 super with a 20”. Guy at the ranch here just bought an MS250. It wouldn’t start when he brought it home. We kept it around a couple days and tried starting a few times by the book and not by the book. He took it back to Atwoods and they gave him another one. It has started good so far. I still prefer my old 029. I think my Stihl dealer said the current version of my saw is a 291. My next saw will probably be a Stihl 362.
Ohhh and yeah I’ve got a 12” Kobalt 24v chainsaw. It’s handy for little stuff.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may not be much help if you are remotely considering a battery powered chainsaw.

I three Stihls.
HT101 pole saw
260 Pro with 16 and 20” bars.
MS193T. 14” Top handle climbing saw.

Stihl has 3 basic lines. A homeowners occasion use. A more frequent use (I think they call it farm use) and a professional series. All of mine are professional use models but see but I fall into an occasional to frequent user category.

The saws have been great. I take care of them. The HT is 13 years old, the 260 Pro is 16-18 years old, and I bought the 193T early last year.

On the other hand, my dad always buys the cheaper occasional use Stihls and doesn’t get much life out of them.

You pretty much get what you pay for, even in the Stihl line.

All of mine are getting ready to get a serious workout over the next couple of weeks. I’ve already put a hour or so on the 193T clearing branches off my drive way the last 48 hours.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Price isnt an issue, quality is. Echo has a 5 year warranty which I like. They are all carried by big box stores now. Stihl is in Ace/True Value, Echo at HD, and Lowes has Husqvarna

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My tree guys have stihl regular saws and the showed me a really nice echo telescoping pole saw they just got had lots of power and expensive.

I got a Poulan pole saw from Lowe's and its a POS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom