help me pimp my 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h8ns8n

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
NO. I don't mean you pay me to use it!
I am new to 1911's but love this gun. It is a Springfield Champion, and that is about all I know about it. I suppose it is a mil-spec model but I am not sure. the serial # starts with WW if that means anything.
I would like to know what mods I can do to this. I don't care for the small grip safety and wish it was larger (came up farther in the web of my hand)
can I add a trigger and hammer and what about night sights? I may get a pair of those rattlesnake grips but I kinda like the flames (which were my first add-on) also if I put alot of $ into it would I be better off just to buy one that was already done up? I actually got a good deal on this and really wanted the shorter barrel. any advice. where is the best place to get parts?
Thanks

ai256.photobucket.com_albums_hh187_h8ns8npics_7816dfd8.jpg

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the beauties of the 1911 is you can build what you want. I'd just add whatever goodies and mods to that one. If I was going to keep it long term that is. If you drop some dollars into it and are going to sell or trade it off you may or may not get your investment back. :twocents:

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine is the same gun only the full length model.

You can get parts at lots of places, I buy most of my parts for my gunsmithing at Brownells and Midwest.

Here is a photo of the refinish I have done on mine so far. Not done but just doing it as I have extra cash.

alh5.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_S08jn_aChdI_AAAAAAAACrc_0gzmnvA3VF0_s640_PICT0487.JPG

alh6.ggpht.com__cw7szDh41MM_S08jnY9xIWI_AAAAAAAACrY_2fW9hW876qU_s640_PICT0304_1.JPG

Also if you look at the front of the grip you will see where I checkered it and the front of the trigger guard.

Left the sights off because I am going to add night sights next.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Very cool honey bee.
Did you notice the springfield slide to be uneven when you prepped? They are seldom very flat.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, there's a ton of things I'd do but that's preference. I will say that if you want a night sights you can do a 10-8 retro rear and a Trijicon front. Works out really well and you won't have to cut the slide on the rear. :D

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please, please, please don't fall victim to the people who think that a 1911 must be 'pimped' with a bunch of useless features to make it into an accurate, reliable, or attractive looking pistol.

It's absolutely perfect looking in the GI configuration, and works perfectly well as is.

If needed, a pair of bigger/better sights will help out most shooters, and if you're a high-hold or fat-handed shooter, a hammer-bob will keep away the dreaded "hammer bite".

You could replace some the internals -- a sear and disconnector, perhaps an extractor -- from one of the big name places (King's, Ed Brown, etc) and that would help your long-term reliability if you are thinking of CCW.

Other than that...you'd just be adding bling for the sake of bling.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool honey bee.
Did you notice the springfield slide to be uneven when you prepped? They are seldom very flat.

Actually the slide was flat but the frame was far from it. Also I did not expect the frame to be case hardened so I had to heat treat it before I could do anything.

Still got a ways to go before it is finished.

This is not my carry gun just a project.

nsbpd509

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The beauty of the 1911 is that it is a great gun as is, with mild mods, or a full blown make-over. You can do as little or as much as you want with it, you are really only limited by your imagination and pocketbook.

I had one quite similar to yours (Full size) and thought it looked a bit plain, so I dressed it out with adjustable sights, beaver-tail, bobbed hammer, ambi-safety, full length guide rod, and then replaced the release, trigger, mag release, and barrel bushing (all except the guide rod in matte black), and added black buffalo horn grips. I thought the contrasting colors set it off and looked pretty good afterward. Of course, then I either traded it or sold it for the next project... :scream:

But like I said, it is more a matter of personal preference than anything else. Good luck and have a blast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom