Help picking a scope.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumanVr4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need a little help, I am building my first bolt gun a .308 24" Savage arms left handed model 10 FLCP-SR. ( http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FLCPSR )

I have never had a scope before, so I don't even know what to look for. On top of that I don't even know what roll this rifle will play. I do want it to be more of a precision target type of rifle, shoot out to 500-800 yards, maybe more if I could find somewhere to shoot. I do know I want to buy a decent scope, somewhere in the middle of the road around $1,200. Just something I won't out grow very fast, and something I can play with for a while before I would need/want to jump up a better one.

I have found two that kinda peek my interest, if you could let me know what you think about the two, and if you have another suggestion please post it up, and let me know.

1st one I have been looking at is Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm (30mm) M1, Illum with the TMR Reticle
( http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...pes/mark-4-lrt-4-5-14x50mm-30mm-m1-illum-ret/ )

2nd one is a NightForce SHV 5-20x56mm, (30mm) .250 MOA, MOAR center illuminated reticle C535 ( http://www.nightforceoptics.com/shv/5-20×56 )

Thanks for any and all help.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50, vortex warranty is beyond top notch. The scope has great positive clicks, but the Razor Gen II might suit your needs a bit better.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Scopes are always subjective and the one the someone owns is always the best.

I have owned many scopes, and played with many more and there are only a handful I would personally own after doing so.

Bushnell XRS with reticle of choice, I prefer G2
Vortex HD Gen II x27 with EBR2C
Vortex HD Gen I EBR2B (5 mil turret only)
Kahles 6-24 K with reticle of choice, many to choose from but the newest reticles coming to market are excellent

I like to look for things such as Reticle options, 10 mil turrets instead of 5, and zero stops, but not a deal breaker. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake and most likely will not be used.

I have been running the Bushnell XRS G2 for some time now and really enjoy it. There are flaws just as there are with any scope. The only scopes I will move to from here are either Kahles or Vortex HD Gen II

ETA:

I picked up a new Bushnell XRS for $1200 and have seen them as low as $900 NEW. Vortex HD 5-20 should run you no more than$1200 used.

Also should add that my Bushnell has been through several matches with hard hits and now after this weekend a good 50 or more solid whacks from a hammer and it is still going strong.

Latest posts

Top Bottom