Help with Running Cat6 Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or ideas to run some Cat 6 ethernet from the gateway in my master bedroom downstairs to the PS4 in the living room? I would like it to be hidden but I am clueless. My master bedroom is not directly above the living room and pretty much opposite side of the house.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will bet @Tanis143 would have some ideas.

I just have one story, so I went up into the attic, over to the living room, and down through an outside wall... which wasn't much fun. Your situation sounds much more nightmarish though....

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've run miles of it. But without seeing your house it's hard to say. Is there a pipe chase for toilet exhaust and such above the master bedroom in attic? Do you have a basement?

I have no idea! LOL. I bought this house 5 years ago and always relied on the Wi-Fi but since I've been playing on my son's PS4 more I noticed some lag issues. I have 86 Mbps at the router but only 50 something at the PS4 through the wi-fi. I'm guessing a CAT6 will help but if I have to run 100' of it is it worth it?

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there that much of a difference? I've always been familiar with CAT5 but thought CAT6 would be a nice upgrade but not if it's not cost worthy.

Cat 5e is good for up to 1 Gbit, fine for most people that either don't know or don't care. Cat 6 is good up to 10 Gbit if you need that level of bandwidth. Most people lack even a basic Gbit switch so 5e vs 6 is irrelevant for most folks.

Cat6 would technically be future proofing for you and a nice fist bump from the new owners if you ever sold.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For your puposes, CAT5 would work just as well as CAT6. With CAT5, you'll get transfers of 10/100 Mbps at a 100 MHz bandwidth. CAT6 offers faster data speeds if your network is capable of it. CAT6 is shielded, which cuts down on crosstalk, but if you're not running several lines, you shouldn't have this issue. I'd probably stick with CAT5 for your home network - just my opinion.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience or ideas to run some Cat 6 ethernet from the gateway in my master bedroom downstairs to the PS4 in the living room? I would like it to be hidden but I am clueless. My master bedroom is not directly above the living room and pretty much opposite side of the house.

First question, how does the signal enter your house? What i'm getting at, is could you possibly move the modem to the living room? If it comes over coax, you might be able to more easily do that unless you 1) need it in the master bedroom or 2) there is an issue with the wiring in your house.

After that, it probably just depends on your house layout. If you can get into the attic then your best bet is probably to run it down the walls for both rooms, but that might not be the easiest thing to do.

You could also consider a signal booster near the PS4

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First question, how does the signal enter your house? What i'm getting at, is could you possibly move the modem to the living room? If it comes over coax, you might be able to more easily do that unless you 1) need it in the master bedroom or 2) there is an issue with the wiring in your house.

After that, it probably just depends on your house layout. If you can get into the attic then your best bet is probably to run it down the walls for both rooms, but that might not be the easiest thing to do.

You could also consider a signal booster near the PS4

It's AT&T and there isn't a jack anywhere in the living room. The modem is upstairs with the only line running from the outside to that specific jack next to the modem. I asked about moving the modem downstairs when the tech was there and running new line through the house from the back to the front (where the living room is) would've been nightmarish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom