Help with Running Cat6 Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check your cabling if you have already purchased it. I ran 750ft of Monoprice Cat6 in my house back in February. Their cabling had good reviews and is priced well. They recalled it yesterday because it "does not meet the flammability requirements of the UL 1666 safety standard:"
https://mpcmrrecall.com

To say that I am irritated would be an understatement.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
5e will work fine if you decide to go that route. If your getting 80mb at the modem and your wifi is giving 50mb. Your doing pretty dang good imo. That should be plenty for your ps4. You can also look at power line extenders that use your home wiring if installing cat 5e is to much of a pain. Avoid exterior walls or ones next to your garage with insulation if at all possible if you do decide to run cables.

https://smile.amazon.com/Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-Extender-TP-Link/dp/B084CZMYNM/

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check your cabling if you have already purchased it. I ran 750ft of Monoprice Cat6 in my house back in February. Their cabling had good reviews and is priced well. They recalled it yesterday because it "does not meet the flammability requirements of the UL 1666 safety standard:"
https://mpcmrrecall.com

To say that I am irritated would be an understatement.
I ran Monoprice Cat6a cable in my house. I checked, mine isn't involved in the recall.

I looked at the recall website, it looks like Monoprice will foot the bill for professional replacement.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there that much of a difference? I've always been familiar with CAT5 but thought CAT6 would be a nice upgrade but not if it's not cost worthy.
I get much, much lower speeds at my house. However, I thought the cost difference betwixt Cart and Cat6 was negligible, so went with the 6.

A few cents per foot, meh.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran Monoprice Cat6a cable in my house. I checked, mine isn't involved in the recall.

I looked at the recall website, it looks like Monoprice will foot the bill for professional replacement.

I contacted them this morning and am cautiously optimistic. I hope they can just connect to my existing cable and use it to pull new. Otherwise, I'll be opening up that wall in the back of the linen closet again. With two adults working from home and a student working from home scheduling is going to be a challenge.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not trying to make light of the issue of a recalled product. Guys I really wouldn't worry about Plenum rated cable in a home. If its melting you have bigger problems. Your house is on fire. Plenum rated is for large businesses where there is thousands of feet run all over the place and they are concerned with electrical fire smoldering and putting toxins in the HVAC systems. Your cables aren't run in your hvac systems so its really nothing to be worried about. I would guess there are millions of miles of cable in homes installed by telcos and cable companies and its not plenum rated.

Last edited:

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have relied on Monoprice for all my cable needs for the last 10 years. Great customer service and GREAT prices. I have a bin of CAT5/6, patch cables and 4K HDMI cables. All have worked flawlessly and at about a 1/10 of the price as big box stores.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will bet @Tanis143 would have some ideas.

I just have one story, so I went up into the attic, over to the living room, and down through an outside wall... which wasn't much fun. Your situation sounds much more nightmarish though....

This is what I had to do in our house to add a new network drop . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom