Hey Oklahoma Musicians!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been listening to some "retro" music....as of lately ...The Band.
Yep, Bob Dylan's back up group. So, as I was listening to the song.."Up On Cripple Creek"...I kept hearing this cool and funky riff throughout the song.

Being a guitar player, at first I thought it might be a bass line through a space echo pedal or some other pedal, plus a wah pedal. I decided to watch a video of theirs to find out the instrument in question.

Answer: Clavinet...like a keyboard..not a moog....with a cool and funky sound.

So, does anyone own one? I don't want nor need one, I'm not much of a keyboard player...maybe hen peck out some songs...but thats it. Hohner doesn't make them anymore...but what a cool sound of the 60's through the late 70's.

Pro's-Con's..likes/dis-likes...fill me in on this instrument!! I MAY eventually get one...just to drive the wife crazy!!!

The Clavinet:

The Band: Up on Cripple Creek/Garth Hudson on his Clavinet..time 44sec & 1:07sec

And of course..Stevie Wonder/Superstition..jamming on his Clavinet!!!

Just too cool and funky!!!!

Cohiba

Last edited by a moderator:

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right on man!

I sold my Wulry 206A last year. Picked it up in OKC from a kid who played it in a band. It had a vibrato add on installed and was just absolutely perfect. Hated to see it go, but I'll have another one someday... along with a Vox Continental and Fender Rhodes bass organ setup like the Doors used. :)

There is a company called Vintage Vibe up in NY that does restoration on these old electrics and they put out some cool videos of their work. They even redid three Rhodes 88s for Steely Dan a couple of years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have to take up some lesons,just so I can get a Clavinet and drive my wife and the neighbors crazy!!! But then and again....I may be the next Gart Hudson or Stevie Wonder....who knows!!!! Leave the Tele under the bed and jam on the Clavinet!!!

Cohiba

Latest posts

Top Bottom