This country music gen-z rap crap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just why?

I remember in the 90's how you could tell when the "new" sound arrived (probably started in the late 80's with garth), but 90's country largely still sounded for the most part 100% country; or when it pop charted (like billy rae cyrus or shameless by garth) it still didn't have any "urban influence" sound to it at all. About a decade ago this "new" new sound arrived and I have seen some back and fourth debates and articles written about it. Seems like the guy from the Zac Brown band and Jason Aldean got into a twitter battle over it back then. Some of these newer guys are very talented but they just throw that crap in there or have a certain part of the song that has that sound like Morgan Whalen's song "you proof" (based on the sound of that song, it didn't surprise me he was using the slang version of the n-word among his friends). Florida Georgia Line and Luke Brian seem to be some of the worst offenders.

Is this infection in country music a sign of the times where the gen-z and millennial artists have been so influenced by the woke and urban cultures that they are letting that bleed over to transition country music entirely? If you look at various cultures beyond just redneck/country, they all have this element of hip-hop influence and gangsta culture that has nothing to do with their own cultures?

Yeah, I due to my friends listened to rap in the 90's, a lot of people did. We had headbangers at parties in heavy metal boots that still knew all the lyrics to the top rap songs at the time. You also had even younger cowboys back then calling each other homie and dawg, etc. It was a weird time and the peak of gangsa rap I think. But that was rap, not country...I don't see the "redneck culture" bleeding over to influence other forms of music. So why is this happening to country music where the urban influence is bleeding over into it? Is it about money, broadening the audience, is this what gen-z thinks is country?

BTW, nothing against anyone or any particular group; I just don't want to hear rap or club music when I want to listen to country. Anyone else feel the same about TRANS country?

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I quit listening to country in the 2000's because of this. Now I listen to the old guys on spotify and Amazon Music. Cash, kristopherson, Hank Williams and his son, Bosephus, Waylan and Willie, Jerry Reed, Tom T Hall, and all the old fellas that sang real country. The attention whores of today, when the hardest time they've ever had was their girlfriend walking out on them in grade school, just can't compare.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, do you mean "Hick Hop"?

I think Cowboy Troy was one of the earliest to start that crap.
Well don't forget the collaboration between Nelly and Tim McGraw...the rockers did the same thing with Aerosmith and Run DMC in the 80's. Actually, the Nelly/McGraw things was more in the reverse where in that case the country voice was influencing a pop ballad. All this is "good" music, even the Nelly/FGL collaborative song, but I see these collaborations as different than some cowboy hat wearing youngin' using a fake urban accent in their songs.

I also want to learn more about the "Bakersfield" sound with Dwight Yokam..that's another different influence in country music that I don't know much about.

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't blame "Gen Z" for this garbage; they were barely in middle school when it started, if even that old. It's the Boomers and Gen X that really spread the "diversity be our stremph" throughout society, and the Millennials took that ball and ran with it. Don't like tractor rap? Don't like white kids walking around with their pants sagging, and talking like they have a mouthfull of marbles? Yeah - thank the Boomers and Gen X.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny this topic came up, because my wife was listening to music on Spotify on Sunday, and I asked her what it was. She said new country. I told her it may be new, but it definitely wasn’t country. I’ve always been a country fan, but my wife listened to pop in the 80’s when we were in high school. I told her that what she was listening to now is just the same pop music from high school with a country accent. She didn’t get offended but did put her ear buds in so I didn’t have to listen too.

I got tired of what was on ”country” radio stations a few years ago, and all I listen to now while driving is books on Audible.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not google Katie Noel. But if you, do listen to Tennessee Girl first then listen to a couple of her other songs. The Tennessee Girl song popped up on my YouTube yesterday. Which made me curious. So I listened to about 20 seconds of a couple of others and now I cannot wash it out of my ears.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Difference in musical tastes has been a thing ever since the first song was ever sang. I don't care for the new stuff either and usually tune to classic country or light rock. An amusing story about difference in music preference though. I once supervised a large unit that had a radio playing on the workroom floor. The employees kept arguing about what station it should be tuned to. I came in 1 morning and they were at it again so I unplugged it and put it in my office. I told them they could have it back when they came up with an agreement on what stations it would play on each day. They came up with a schedule for each day and the problem was solved. Our parents didn't like our music and we don't like most of our kids music. Some things never change and some do. With satellite radio I have a choice and with streamed music I don't have to listen to commercials either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom