This country music gen-z rap crap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Real country music hasn’t been played on the radio for many years. There’s plenty of real country artists out there, but you have to seek them out. I’ve posted this link before in another similar thread, but Hank Williams III pretty much sums it all up in one video. ***Explicit Language Warning***

Here you have a millennial guy who grew up in money and privilege wearing a giant weed shirt with a weed patch using the F word every other word. He reminds me of the Chris Rock movie CB4 where Rock's character played a hard gangsta named "stab-masta arson" LOL but was actually just a kid from the suburbs.

I thought Toby Keith carried the "new country" banner pretty well (pre-hick hop era) and although he changed with the times, he doesn't deserve some snot nose weed punk bad mouthing his career. Do you think he'd say the same about George Strait too? He had early career cowboy music and then in later times more modern and popish songs.

I remember a lot of skepticism about Alabama too in their early years but their early stuff to me is as country as it gets unless you drop back to the true cowboy "country & western" music in the black & white TV era.

Hank Jr did a great job of excelling as an individual artist and not being tied to his Dad's legacy. And his music was good for the most part. He was probably able to be grouped in with the Outlaws like Willy, Waylon, Cash, etc...but this Hank the 3rd kid seems like he's trying to hard.

On another note, how do yall feel about Blake Shelton...did he sell out by doing the Voice and becoming a part of the liberal pop culture? I doubt the Hag would have done the voice LOL.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was always also intrigued by these guys like Conway Twitty that were not cowboys per say, but still had no problem in the country music space. However, I see a lot of beta male new country artists that are not country at all and just chose that space to be a musician in. Some of them have talent but it is still "weird" whereas people like Conway had no problem looking like the mayor of a small town wearing polyester Jaymar slacks and no cowboy hat LOL.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sturgill Simpson

If you haven’t heard of him, he is really talented. Was in the Navy for awhile and has some great songs that hit home as a young man stationed overseas.
Reminds me of Waylon quite a bit. Tyler Childers, Billy Strings - there's some good ones around, but you ain't gonna hear them on the radio.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen Hank III live twice so far. I will say that if you do get tickets and like his country, get there early. The second half of his show is NOT country music. I really enjoy the broad range of styles he covers while he opens for himself and spends several hours onstage.
I saw him about 15 to 20 years ago. He put on a great show. The first half was his punk style music, and the second half was outlaw country. I was never into punk music, but I enjoyed watching him do it. I’m an old home body now so I probably won’t be going to anymore of his shows.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here you have a millennial guy who grew up in money and privilege wearing a giant weed shirt with a weed patch using the F word every other word. He reminds me of the Chris Rock movie CB4 where Rock's character played a hard gangsta named "stab-masta arson" LOL but was actually just a kid from the suburbs.

I thought Toby Keith carried the "new country" banner pretty well (pre-hick hop era) and although he changed with the times, he doesn't deserve some snot nose weed punk bad mouthing his career. Do you think he'd say the same about George Strait too? He had early career cowboy music and then in later times more modern and popish songs.

I remember a lot of skepticism about Alabama too in their early years but their early stuff to me is as country as it gets unless you drop back to the true cowboy "country & western" music in the black & white TV era.

Hank Jr did a great job of excelling as an individual artist and not being tied to his Dad's legacy. And his music was good for the most part. He was probably able to be grouped in with the Outlaws like Willy, Waylon, Cash, etc...but this Hank the 3rd kid seems like he's trying to hard.

On another note, how do yall feel about Blake Shelton...did he sell out by doing the Voice and becoming a part of the liberal pop culture? I doubt the Hag would have done the voice LOL.
As far his generation, he is now 49 years old so I don’t consider him to be a millennial. He was born into privilege, but his father was as well. They both did there own kind of music, and I don’t think Hank III rode on his dad’s or granddad’s coat tails. Unlike so many of the country artists that are played on the radio, he actually writes his own songs. Like his granddad and dad, he was given a gift for writing and performing music. As far as the weed, I don’t think there are many musicians that don’t smoke it. Merle Haggard did an interview several years ago, and I remember him saying something like “Muskogee is probably the only place that I haven’t smoked weed”.

As far as Toby Keith, let’s just agree to disagree. George Strait will always be true country in my book, and Blake Shelton definitely sold out for the money.

The “F” word wasn’t needed to make his point, but I suppose that’s just who he is. Below is one of his own traditional songs, I think it’s about as country as country gets, and he reminds me of his granddad with this one.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Country music died along time ago except for the ones from old that still perform such as King George. But these so called country artists of today are an embarrassment. But, that’s what many want. Music has always changed. I listen to a wide variety of music and a lot of people at work laugh because of it but they also sing along to some of it. But country is my favorite. It’s what I listen to mostly. I don’t listen to rap. I used to when I was younger but I despise it now. Especially when I think about how pathetic the people making the music are. They constantly ran down white people and this country. Some of which still do. But I am so thankful for ad free music.

Latest posts

Top Bottom