High Wind Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually find the deer around S.E. Oklahoma to be spooky in high winds. They sequester in sheltered low areas or on the lee side of geological formations where the wind is blocked while providing them visual advantage and not moving until dusk or after. I am physically unable to stalk or jump deer up, so I’m unable to go into those kinds of locations to find them.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So tell us what you saw, and what your assessment is after hunting this wind.

About 8am 2 does ran out from the woods being chased by a small buck. Around 9am I thought I heard a bugle a ways off to my NW, but I couldn't tell for sure because of the wind. At 930 I decided to head that way to check it out. I thought it may have come from the same part of the woods where I shot the 6x6 a few years ago and it's the same area I shot the 16point buck a few weeks back. As I was making my way there I jumped a group of about 10 does and 2 bucks. One was small and the other was a decent sized 8 or 10 point. I went on to the area where I thought I might find them, but no luck. I walked a big circle back around the edge of the fields and through the woods and creeks and saw another small 6 point around 1030. Probably only walked a little over 2 miles, but it felt like 10 with all the damn mud that kept getting caked on my boots. I'm back out here right now and haven't seen anything yet.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve started to get sea sick a lot easier over the recent years so I stay out of the trees when it’s windy. I about barfed the other day when it was blowing 20 mph and had to get down early and leave. Plus I’ve never really had luck when it’s windy. The ones I have seen were really freaked out by all the noise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom