High Wind Hunting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the wind blowing hard.
You can move slowly and in the brush you will not be spotted as the brush is constantly moving.
Calm days it is harder in my mind because the slightest movement and you have been spotted.

I like 25+ MPH winds when i go looking for hogs. I can just about walk right up on them.
Do not need to be as quiet either.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People used to say that high wind confuses a deer's (or Elks) nose. They get a lot of information by smell and it's sort of like they're half blind, so they lay-up in it. But what's high wind? If you wait for a time that isn't a little blustery in my part of the world you'll never hunt at all. The time to hunt is when you can.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People used to say that high wind confuses a deer's (or Elks) nose. They get a lot of information by smell and it's sort of like they're half blind, so they lay-up in it. But what's high wind? If you wait for a time that isn't a little blustery in my part of the world you'll never hunt at all. The time to hunt is when you can.

I agree. Ill be going out in the morning no matter what, I'm definitely not a "fair weather" hunter. lol. The way I've always looked at it is even if the conditions are not ideal, if you're in the woods, there's always a chance of getting that buck or elk of a life time, but there's absolutely no chance of that happening from the couch at home. I just wanted to get other peoples thoughts on it. When I took my son the last few days of rifle season, it was way to calm and quite. Sounded like we were walking on an endless trail of potato chips.

A few years ago I was out hunting in the morning in sleet and before the sun came up a thunderstorm rolled through. Every time the lightning would flash, I could see deer walking on the edge of the woods and the trees and grass were covered in ice, so they would light up and glisten from the lightning. It was a pretty cool sight to see. I think I may have actually got some of it on video, but I had a very bad camera back then that MAYBE did 480p. I'm not sure if even did that good though. lol

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a "fair weather" hunter. lol. The way I've always looked at it is even if the conditions are not ideal, if you're in the woods, there's always a chance of getting that buck or elk of a life time, but there's absolutely no chance of that happening from the couch at home.
I agree, but the older I get though the less mad I am at the deer. I guess I’m becoming more of a fair weather hunter.:blush:

Latest posts

Top Bottom