Hk P30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have recently had my eye on the HK P30. I don't know why but that little guy seems very interesting to me, and feels like it was made for my hand. I have been shooting a 1911 lately and a Springfield xdm before that. I have never really spent a lot of time with the DA/SA type pistols. I like the cocked and locked type of design with the 1911 but like the feel and weight of the HK.

What are some pros and cons of the DA/SA trigger, and for those who have shot or own the HK P30 what are your impressions. I don't want to jump into another pistol just to regret the purchase or sale of the one I am replacing. Plus the wife hates me trading all the time.:punch: Any help is much appreciated.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What you will get with new HK polymer handgun:
Outstanding ergonomics
Dead nuts reliability
Accuracy
Fit and finish
Very good resale value

What you won't get:
A good trigger on many models
Real night sights depending on the model
A good price on guns, mags, or parts

If the top list outweighs the bottom list for your wants/needs, jump on it! I haven't shot a P30, but my fairly similar HK45 is one of my favorite handguns. If the ergos just "click" for you, you might be hard pressed to find anything you like as well in that regard.

All IMO of course. :sunbath:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed a P30 in .40 S&W today at Sports World. It wasn't a var. 3, it had a lever on the right side, but don't know which variant it actually is.
I really wanted a P30 for a while, but then tried a CZ P-07 and found a pistol that I liked at least as much at about half the price.
In the end I didn't buy either one, trying to save money in case I get laid off.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the P30 in .40 S&W. It is the conventional DA/SA fire control. I've owned a few DA/SA pisrols but always sold them for two reasons. 1: the first shot would very often go high and to the left or right, about 3 or 4 even 5 inches from the rest of the group. 2: the transistion from DA to SA was too great for me to get really used to and competent with. This HK (my first HK by the way) was going to be the very last try at this kind of trigger. I've had it out once and so far I'm very pleased. The DA pull is long but very smooth. The trigger face is quite wide. This adds up to a pull that feels like about 9 pounds or so. The book says 12 pounds but it doesn't feel like it. And there is no stacking at the end of the pull either. The SA pull is very crisp by DA standards. Not as light and crisp as a tuned up 1911, but not far from it. I've never liked 3.5 to 4 pound 1911 triggers. I don't feel I have total control so mine are range guns. Fun to shoot but I don't carry them.

No first shot fliers. Grouped around 2 to 3 inches at 9 yards with a mix of 3 kinds of ammo. I consider this very good with my very limited DA experience and some of it being rapid fire. I have no doubt the groups will shrink in half after a few range sessions

As far as cocked and locked you can do that on the P30. Just like a 1911 you just pull the hammer back to full cock and engage the safey. The safety snaps off quite cleanly but maybe just a touch more resistence than high end 1911's. Most likely lighten up a little with about a couple hundered on/off cycles. I'll be carrying mine round chambered and hammer down. The little de-cocker next to the hammer turned out to be intuitive and easy to use.

I usually carry a G23; very confident with it. I am seriuosly considering shifting it to house duty and carrying the P30. Can't believe it because I'm very happy with Glock and the 23 in particular. But man, that P30 really made an impact on me. And the grip is not of this world. Who ever designed it is a genius. It fits like I'd squezed a lump of clay. You'd think the texture is too rough but under recoil it's the perfect balance of not to rough/not too smooth. Does that make any sense???

It is a little on the big side and it will be a few to several months I'm sure before magazines are widely available. The price was hard to swollow. Had never spent that much on a non-1911 before. But hey, you can't take it with you. I can't say I'm totally smitten yet and have no plans at all to sell a single glock (after market is too awesome). But, it definitely will stay in my possesion for quite some time to come.

I'd recommend this pistol but not as a first or only pistol. To me, a first or only pistol would need better after market support. Just my opinion.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and feels like it was made for my hand.

This is really an aspect of a pistol you can't put a price on, as what people find "correct" or "comfortable" is so unique from person to person. I.e. Glocks are great guns, but my natural point with them is like 30 degrees high of my intended point of aim. The HK you mention an excellent firearm, but doesn't balance well in my hand.

I shoot an XD, as it balances well in my hand, the trigger reach and pull is short enough to fit my hand, and grip angle allows me to point it naturally. Note all the bold and italics, as they indicate feature that are subjective to me, and are not objective pros or cons of each pistol.

If you find a pistol that fits you as well as you describe, it's worth grabbing.

But no one can decide that for you; you have to come to that decision on your own.

You also get to tell everyone else who can't own an HK it's because you suck. And we hate you. ;)

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you get a P30S (S stands for it having a safety much like the USP series), you won't have to worry about the DA/SA trigger, and you'll be able to carry C&L. HKs have a pretty decent SA trigger if you don't mind the long reset. Ditto on the pistol-training link. Todd has been running the P30 for a while now. You can check it out over at m4carbine.net as well.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good comments and great links. Thanks BigRed82 I never considered the p30s. You learn something new everyday.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might also consider the LEM (double action only) trigger on the P30 if you want to avoid the DA/SA transition.

I think Todd is running a somewhat modified LEM V2 or V4 on his P30, so that is another thing to consider. Lot's of different options to choose from.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might also consider the LEM (double action only) trigger on the P30 if you want to avoid the DA/SA transition.

I think Todd is running a somewhat modified LEM V2 or V4 on his P30, so that is another thing to consider. Lot's of different options to choose from.

Aint that the truth, brother.