HK USP shooters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
they are only popular cause they are cheap.
Well, one could say HK sigs are only popular because they are expensive (the "look at me crowd" goes for em). Glocks are popular not because they are cheap, but because they are inexpensive and reliable. Question: how many glocks do you see compared to HKs and Sigs in competitive shooting? I cant speak for Sig, but I know HK is really accurate, but arent to reliable. I have been left drumping half full mags in a competition because of Hk's reliability.

BigKahuna

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, one could say HK sigs are only popular because they are expensive (the "look at me crowd" goes for em). Glocks are popular not because they are cheap, but because they are inexpensive and reliable. Question: how many glocks do you see compared to HKs and Sigs in competitive shooting? I cant speak for Sig, but I know HK is really accurate, but arent to reliable. I have been left drumping half full mags in a competition because of Hk's reliability.

Don't get your panties in a wad - they are cheap (as you said also) that has been their strong point since Day 1. Not saying they are bad, just cheap. Hence their popularity.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get your panties in a wad - they are cheap (as you said also) that has been their strong point since Day 1. Not saying they are bad, just cheap. Hence their popularity.

No, their strong point has been reliability since Day 1... not the cost.

And I said inexpensive,... not cheap.

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing to consider is cost and availability of parts and accessories. You have a Glock so you know how you can find any part or accessory anywhere from alot of different manufacturers which makes the price lower. HKs not so much. Just something to keep in mind.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned USPs since they came out .I've never had any reliability problems with any of the four I own. I've never heard of anybody having reliability issues with them or Glocks. Police are big on Glocks (cost). Elite military big on H&K and Sigs. I've owned four Glocks (17,19,26,21). My wife really liked the Glock 21(.45acp) we had. I really like the USP Tactical .45 I bought yesterday.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a USPc in 9mm. It's ok, but I like my P229 better. The trigger on the USP is pretty bad, and HK goes with a different point of aim/point of impact than pretty much everybody else. It's not as accurate as the Sig.

Like WMacD said, if you just want to have one (and can get one as cheap as you say) I would go for it. If I were you, and buying new, I would get a P229 or P226 (depending on which fits you better).

stolar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a used .40 USPc earlier this year. It turned out to be very accurate and reliable. It has an outstanding trigger. After a lot of side by side shooting I sold my Glock 23. I love the Glock platform but decided to stick to 9mm and .45 in Glocks.

I'm going to try a .45 USPc next.

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The USP is a wonderful pistol!

Pros: Unfailingly reliable in most cases
Versatility in the firing mechanism (DAO, Cocked & Locked, LEM Module)
Uber HK Fit & Finish
Striking lines & well thought-out frame stippling & texture

Cons: V1 has a horrendous double action pull (Most USPs are V1)
Magazines are pretty expensive & not always readily available
The USP45, MK23, & HK45 are unusually large pistols
V1's de-cocker can lead to an inadvertant de-cock if you ride the thumb safety

All & all, everyone needs a USP in their collection. My personal reccomendation would be the USP Compact 9 or 40.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a USP 40 for a while. My wife could not shoot it well due to it's size so I sold it and now we shoot Glocks. I loved the pistol, really wish I could get another one, the only problem it ever gave me was the trigger. If I shot the first round DA I would occasionaly do an accidental double tap. Keeping the gun cocked and locked was the easiest solution to that. I do notice a difference in the muzzle flip, but everyone is different. Bottome line it's a solid reliable pistol, so if you do your part it will do it's part.

Latest posts

Top Bottom