Hog Hunting 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok professors lend me some knowledge. My stepdad and I want to do some hog hunting this fall or winter. I've been reading through the threads here and have determined that:

1. Hogs are nocturnal.
2. Large caliber centerfire rifles work best.
3. Head shots are best...no wait, right above the elbow....no the neck...?
4. Baiting them into an area is a pretty simple way to go.

So, that being said, are hogs strictly nocturnal even when the weather is cool or cold like in the fall and winter? I saw a thread where Dr Tad was going out at 3AM!!! I assume that was because of the heat in June. What about November-March?

Is a 7mm Rem Mag overkill? I have other options: .30-30, 8x57mm, .223, .303 British, .30 carbine. (BTW, I don't think I would really consider the .30 carbine, just threw it out there)

Any other tips/wisdom/sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will come out during the day and aren't strictly nocturnal. If there is a lot of pressure in the area, then don't expect to see them. When the cooler weather hits, I see them a lot more during the evening than in the morning. I use a 7 mag and it is not overkill. Dieseled corn (corn soaked in diesel) is a good hog bait since most animals leave it alone, but hogs. Grimm Reaper works too - http://www.inheatscents.net/grimreaper.html. Once a new food source becomes available their feeding habits change, but they still travel the same corridors ie creek bottoms. Once the acorns start dropping they will move into the timber.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok professors lend me some knowledge. My stepdad and I want to do some hog hunting this fall or winter. I've been reading through the threads here and have determined that:

1. Hogs are nocturnal.
2. Large caliber centerfire rifles work best.
3. Head shots are best...no wait, right above the elbow....no the neck...?
4. Baiting them into an area is a pretty simple way to go.

So, that being said, are hogs strictly nocturnal even when the weather is cool or cold like in the fall and winter? I saw a thread where Dr Tad was going out at 3AM!!! I assume that was because of the heat in June. What about November-March?

Is a 7mm Rem Mag overkill? I have other options: .30-30, 8x57mm, .223, .303 British, .30 carbine. (BTW, I don't think I would really consider the .30 carbine, just threw it out there)

Any other tips/wisdom/sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hogs aren't nocturnal full time. In the heat though they're mainly going to move at night. Right now you'll probably catch some around first light. During the colder months you'll find them out and about later in the mornings and the evenings. As far as rifles go, I started out hunting them with a 30/06 but quickly downgraded to a .243. The '06 was leaving exit wounds I could put both fists through. I've also seen a 30/30 punch a hole complety through a 250lb sow at around 75 yards. As with any gun shot placement is crucial. I alwas shoot for the vitals, just my personal preferance. We always bait with feeders and buck jam. The hogs really seem to like the apple buck jam. After a while the hogs will learn that the noise from the feeder going off is their ticket to dinner. Once they recognize they have a meal ticket they won't travel real far from the food source. We've actually walked up on quite a few a couple hours before the feeders were set to go off. My thinking was they were just waiting on the dinner bell.

badaugherty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
. Once they recognize they have a meal ticket they won't travel real far from the food source. We've actually walked up on quite a few a couple hours before the feeders were set to go off. My thinking was they were just waiting on the dinner bell.

Same here. I have cameras setup on feeder with pics of the hogs under the feeder when it's going off.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, unless you own the land you're hunting on and have permission from your local game warden, hunting them at night is illegal. Also, make sure and scout the area for signs of hogs. Putting feeders up wheres there aren't signs of them, you're probably just going to be feeding the other wildlife. Another thing hogs seem to love are old creosote cross ties. I don't know how many of them I've seen polished up from hogs. I'd also recommend carrying a backup gun if you're going to be hunting on the ground.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) I recommend the mid shoulder shot with a rifle. Larger target and puts them down in short order.
2) When you shoot one pay attention to the squeal. Pause and sharp squeal = good hit. Immediate bellowing squeal = bad hit (BE READY WHEN TRAILING).
3) Most days evenings are the best. Nice cold overcast days you can stalk them in the thick brush.
4) Baiting is a good way to go. It's about the only way to pattern them as they are very nomadic.
5) Their eye site is poor, but their nose is very good.

Good luck!!! Have fun.

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do appreciate ya'lls help. I haven't hunted in years and have never hunted hogs. My stepdad is super excited and can't wait to go. I have a lead on hunting on some land in the Ft. Cobb area. Anybody have opinions on the area? Good or bad, doesn't matter to me.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do appreciate ya'lls help. I haven't hunted in years and have never hunted hogs. My stepdad is super excited and can't wait to go. I have a lead on hunting on some land in the Ft. Cobb area. Anybody have opinions on the area? Good or bad, doesn't matter to me.

There are some hogs in a few areas down around there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom