Hog Hunting 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoser

New to the site!
Reaction score
Does the 270 WSM have the potential to become obsolete? I've heard great things about it, but not a lot recently. Seems like most go for 270 or up to 7mm rem mag.

Is 7mm Rem Mag just overkill for pig?

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use my .270 130gr soft points. Neck shot preferred since it doesn't waste much meat.
I have been noticing that the hogs are bedding down during the day and coming out just before/at dark around my feeders. I have walked the areas behind the feeders and have tripped up more than a few bedded in the thickets 20 yards from the feeder. Only a couple rouge males have been seen during the day at the feeders.
I sat in my tree stand last friday past dark and about 6:40 the woods were working alive with hogs that appeared from the brush around the feeder.

And this is what you want to see around your feeders.
[Broken External Image]

This pic shows the daddy of the group.
[Broken External Image]

Although I do not have the pics on this computer, I counted 37 pigs total at this feeder and my other feeder about 200 yards away from this one at about 7:00 on 1-10-11.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my .270 130gr soft points. Neck shot preferred since it doesn't waste much meat.
I have been noticing that the hogs are bedding down during the day and coming out just before/at dark around my feeders. I have walked the areas behind the feeders and have tripped up more than a few bedded in the thickets 20 yards from the feeder. Only a couple rouge males have been seen during the day at the feeders.
I sat in my tree stand last friday past dark and about 6:40 the woods were working alive with hogs that appeared from the brush around the feeder.

That is not what I want to see around my feeder.
I want whitetail and whitetail only.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

And this is what you want to see around your feeders.
[Broken External Image]

This pic shows the daddy of the group.
[Broken External Image]

Although I do not have the pics on this computer, I counted 37 pigs total at this feeder and my other feeder about 200 yards away from this one at about 7:00 on 1-10-11.

Oh my! :clap3:

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is not what I want to see around my feeder.
I want whitetail and whitetail only.

We have another area for deer about a mile away that is tailored for deer. Although I did take two (a 6 point buck and a 115lb anterless buck) this year off the feeder that is 200 yards from the one in the pics. And I have 4 does coming out to it every morning for the past couple of weeks. Feeder placement makes a big difference in my neck of the woods.
Middle of the brier thickets and you will get almost all hogs with the occasional deer. Clearing near the woods and you will get a nice mix. Middle of the clearing and you will get almost only deer. That is why we have 3 feeders with a 4th one going up soon.

Pharmerholt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
300+ lbs pig taken in Pontotoc county.
Taken with a .22k hornet (that's all i had at the time)

ai1126.photobucket.com_albums_l616_Pharmerholt_DSC01883.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom