hog hunting during deer gun season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have this right. I can legally hunt hogs on private property during deer gun season without a deer tag while using a shotgun with 00 buckshot and a 22 magnum pistol and I have to wear some orange. Or am I wrong?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd check real close on the laws regarding buckshot. I don't think it's legal to have buckshot while hunting anything.

But yes, feral hogs may be hunted year around, and yes, if it's during deer season you'll need blaze orange.

And you might just run into a game ranger who will not believe you're just hunting hogs.

penismightier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And you might just run into a Barney Fife wannabe game ranger who will not believe you're just hunting hogs.

I've got some very good friends who are those "Barney Fife wannabe game ranger", and I've got to say, that's a really crappy thing to say. And several of them are members of this forum, so you might want to think about what you type before you click "Submit Reply".

:censored:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I've got some very good friends who are those "Barney Fife wannabe game ranger", and I've got to say, that's a really crappy thing to say. And several of them are members of this forum, so you might want to think about what you type before you click "Submit Reply"."

Sincere apologies, I should have thought it through a bit better. I respect all LEO's and the vast majority are good common sense folks, but you do have to admit there are a few out there who probably shouldn't be.

I will edit the comment out.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going by this regarding shot size.

"Private Lands

Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.

The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt."

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was going by this regarding shot size.

"Private Lands

Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission.

The pursuit of feral hogs with a shotgun on private property is not restricted by shot size.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt."

The bolded area states you must have a license specific to the seasons that are open during that time. I.e. Deer gun - must have a tag rather you intend to fill it or not to legally hunt bigs during deer gun.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The bolded area states you must have a license specific to the seasons that are open during that time. I.e. Deer gun - must have a tag rather you intend to fill it or not to legally hunt bigs during deer gun.

I won't be using a shotgun and rifled slug or a rifle or handgun larger than 22 caliber rimfire.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
and for future reference 22 magnum is a 22 rimfire. so its not legal on hogs.

Where does it say that?

Shotgun Pellet Size

No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. diameter.)

Hogs are not wildlife, see page 27 for shotgun provisions.

Private Lands

Public Lands

Hogs may be taken on lands owned or managed by the Department during any established hunting season(s) with methods authorized for those lands and season(s).

In addition, persons pursuing hogs must comply with all other WMA regulations (see page 42). However, hogs may not be taken by the aid of a light or light enhancement device (night scope).

Looks to me like you need to know the regulations for the WMA where you are hunting if you are on public land.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/hogs.htm
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/2010huntguide.pdf

Latest posts

Top Bottom