hog hunting during deer gun season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My interpretation of all the above is that if you are on private land, you can hunt them with 00 or 22 mag (although why you would use either is beyond me, buckshot maybe... Just use a rifle). But you need deer tag and orange.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think ? I can hunt without a deer tag if using a shotgun but no slugs and pistol/rifle no bigger than 22 caliber rimfire.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt."

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think ? I can hunt without a deer tag if using a shotgun but no slugs and pistol/rifle no bigger than 22 caliber rimfire.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required. All persons pursuing hogs during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt."

You CAN NOT hunt hogs during deer season regardless of what gun you use unless you have a tag for that specific season.

If you don't believe me/us call the department of wildlife. They will tell you the same thing.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You CAN NOT hunt hogs during deer season regardless of what gun you use unless you have a tag for that specific season.

If you don't believe me/us call the department of wildlife. They will tell you the same thing.

This is the truth. Everyone on this line of thinking is correct. Wild hogs are also not considered wildlife. They are a nuisance species. Furthermore, I personally would not hunt hogs with a shotgun and shot smaller than BB. I know that it can and will work, but I personally wouldn't do it.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't have to use shot smaller than BB for hogs. There is no restriction on shot size for hogs. I took white92coupe's suggestion and sent an email to wildlife department about deer tags as it seems to me the regulations clearly say a deer tag is only required if you use a rifled slug or something bigger than 22 rimfire otherwise I don't know why they even mention it. Hopefully an answer tomorrow.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is correct
Jennifer Benge
Information and Education Technician
Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation
(405)521-4636 (office)
(405)521-6898 (fax)
[email protected]
"No hunter ed? Get an apprentice-designated license. Click here for details"

Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:32 PM
To: info
Subject: hog hunting during deer season
In the hog hunting regulations for private lands, it says that if one is pursuing hogs during deer gun season with a shotgun and rifled slug or a rifle or handgun larger than 22 caliber rimfire, one must have a filled or unfilled deer tag. So is it therefore correct that if I use a shotgun with 00 buckshot (no restriction on shot size for hogs) and/or a 22 magnum pistol to hunt hogs on private property during deer gun season, that no deer gun tag is required?
Thank you for your consideration.
Best regards

Latest posts

Top Bottom