Home invasion at my house

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicsinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in a Rural area east of Norman too. I've noticed a few strange vehicles doing recon off the back roads in the past few months. Dogs are great early warning devices aren't they.

J

j squibb

Good dogs are your best first defence they hear and reacte long before we do.(at least they let you know wear the noice is coming from).

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow, that is scary as hell. I used to have the following in my house, but that was before the boat sank: Wife keeps the 12 ga next the bedroom door and I have one hidden up where I can get it in a hurry (have young kids in the house).

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A few months after I bought the house we live in (16 years ago), someone kicked in my fancy wood door. Dead bolt went right through the frame. I was in MWC picking up the boy, who was two. They took a crappy old TV, my answering machine, and my early made, blued Leatherman. When we pulled up, he was snoozing, so I went to the door to carry in his stuff, and go back and get the sleeping child. Door was ajar, splintered wood all over the floor. Went back to the truck, got my fancy new Sig P226, locked the boy in the car, and went through the house. Sickening feeling.

A few months (well probably six) someone tried to kick in the door again. It's metal. So's the frame. Bent the dead bolt. No entry (fudge yes). Again, we were not home. Now we lock the screen door too, just to slow them down, although we have been getting lazy about it. After reading the OP, I am going to get up, and go lock the door.

Not a "home invasion", but a sick, horrible feeling.

I read the OP to my wife (especially about the loaded gun thing). She asked, "Did we lock the screen?"

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP, sounds like you dodged the proverbial bullet.... always better not to have to pull the trigger on someone. Replacing or reparing a door can be a whole lot cheaper in the long run than dealing with the aftermath of a shooting.. even if no one is injured or killed.

Like many of the people here on the forum, I have a gun on me or within a few feet of me all the time when I'm at home.

My back fence is chain link and the gates have heavy chains & padlocks on them... so I'm not super concerned about a home invasion from the rear... but one thing I have done is besides having dead bolts on all the doors and having a couple of house dogs that bark at the slightest sound... I went to Harbor Freight Tools and bought several of those $15 battery operated driveway alarms. I have one outside my doors and in my tool shed. The recievers are where I can hear them anywhere in the house.. and each one has a couple of red LED lights that will flash whenever the alarm goes off. I have each unit labeled for their particular transmitter's location so I know if there is anyone near the front door or the back door or in my shed.

I figure it will give me at least a few seconds or more heads-up warning if someone is prowling around the doors. I also have door alarms that will sound a 120 db alarm if opened at night. If all that doesn't scare the Bad Guy away... there will be a 18" barreled pump shotgun loaded with 3" magnum BB loads & a CT laser equiped Glock 23 inside for them to deal with.

I can't take the chance on using buckshot as there is a house's front door across the street....in direct line with my front door.. along with their bedroom windows to the side of that. BB's are a lot less likely to penetrate the neighbor's door & storm windows at that distance than buckshot would. My AR is loaded with 45 gr ballistic tipped Hornady rounds... a hit on a person will do a number on them... but the lite bullet will virtually explode on contact if it hits a hard object like a door or brick. I'd sure hate to be defending my home and end up shooting a neigbhor [especially a little kid] with a errant shot fired in the dark. Got to balance the need to protect my home and not chance hurting a neighbor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom