Sweet Boy Needs a Home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm aware. (It's too soon.) It's just frustrating because the cats can't leave the back of the house and I have to watch Snoop like a hawk because he's slick as snot. Lol

And that would be a dream job! 😍😍😍
Don't be to hard on the pup. never met a guy who didn't like to chase a little, (well you know:w000t:🐈) every now and then.😁

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sigh ... Between his half-assing answering to commands I know for a fact he completely understands, and the weather making me hurt all over, we had the perfect storm this morning. Dawg went and got on his bed when the shitshow started (LOOK MOM LOOK LOOK LOOK I'M THE GOODEST GOOD BOY!! I'M THE FAVORITE, RIGHT?? RIGHT?? RIGHT?? I'M BEING GOOD!! SEE?!?!?! 😂)and just watched. I'm sure so he wouldn't get blood splatter on him. He KNOWS from personal experience how this is gonna end.

It is a good thing this guy is small enough I can just put him where/how I want him when he rebels because any attempt at a correction results in him just shutting down completely. That will change over time, as he learns that nothing, short of biting, that will get him harmed in any way ... BUT ... We DO have to mind. I will give him this. I think he KNOWS no one is gonna hurt him here. He doesn't run or try to get away. He just sits ... Or lays down ... And no amount of cajoling, begging, cussing, nothing that has EVER worked in the bazillion of years dogs have been domesticated does any good. I have 2 choices -- wait him out (no!) or just pick him up and move him (so far I'm opting for this. It's safer for everybody. 😉)

I see some SERIOUS leash work in my new buddy's future. He'll be fine. I am not accustomed to a dog who is SO timid they just shut down. Thankfully he's not ducking me every time I reach to let him now. One step at a time. Y'all need to remember -- I'm a lot better ... A LOT better -- with animals than I am with people so he's safe here.

Here's proof of life, though ... Just because he and Dawg are such cutie pies!

And yes, he is wearing that leash until he learns that not minding when we are given a command that we KNOW is not an option.

IMG20240327111811.jpg

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that little guy was damaged before you or I ever saw him. I don't know how, but he was. Just keep that in mind. You don't know what he went thru before he found you. I know it's frustrating. But he'll come around.

Oh I'm SURE of it. Bless his heart. He's not my first ****ed up fella -- Dawg was a hot mess when he followed me and Nero home from the lake. Snoop is stuck with me. And Dawg -- who he follows around EVERYWHERE. Lol And the cats ... And me. We will get it worked out. He is absolutely adorable and I'm happy he's here. Most of the time. 😉😂😂😂

I'm not sure what happened in the backyard yesterday but Dawg is limping today. I suspect he hurt his foot playing because I've seen him actually try to get Snoop to chase him a few times. Snoop has been really good for him. He hasn't been this happy since Nero passed away.

Once Snoop, Harvey, MissPriss and I come to an understanding everything will be fine. You know how it is when you introduce a new kid to the class. We'll all be fine. The thing I am most grateful for is Snoop does not have an aggressive bone in his body. He's most definitely a lover -- all he wants to do is play and get treats. Now if we can just keep ALL our feet on the floor and not yodel at the cats. 😉 Well and not turn into a boneless lump of dog flesh when we don't want to mind. 🤨😂😂😂

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any reason he can't just chase the cats if he wants to? I let mine do that. Within a month or so he would only run up and sniff. But at first he would bite their fur off. It grows back.

Are you absolutely sure you want to remove his testicles? I wouldn't do my dog that way now after the research I've done. Thank God he doesn't know what I did to him.

I mainly did because he had huge orange ones that stuck out the back behind his legs and wagged back and forth. Sometimes they would touch people. One time we went through the drive though and he had his lipstick all the way out and decided it was time for a little bath down there. The lady was like cute dog.. ohhhh....
My Dobie would "patrol" the backyard running the fence. I had a 6 foot redwood fence with 3/4 gaps between the boards. It was necessary to keep moving in order to see through the fence. If you stopped running, you only had a 3/4 gap to look out of. When you were moving, you could see everything outside the fence. He patrolled so much, that he had a rut about a foot away from the fence. Cats knew this and would just sit and lick themselves while he went Berzerko woofing at them. I had him out of the yard one day and a cat started with the 'ha, you can't get me,' and turned its back on Murph while it was still grooming itself. I let ol Murphy off his leash and he bowled that cat like a bowling ball. He didn't bark or bite the cat he just bulldozed him running right through him.

The last time I saw the cat it was aholes and elbows about 5 feet away from where it was originally sitting running in place because it was also about a foot off of the ground. Kinda like all those cartoon characters when they realize they were tricked off of a cliff and scramble to get back to terra firma. Ol Murph was just standing there watching that cat trying to turn itself inside out getting away from a 75 pound Doberman bowling ball.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that little guy was damaged before you or I ever saw him. I don't know how, but he was. Just keep that in mind. You don't know what he went thru before he found you. I know it's frustrating. But he'll come around.
That is usually why most strays are strays. Someone couldn't hang with it or correct the behavior so the dog is pushed out the door of a car in the countryside.

The other reason is they run away like my Weimaraner. He was going to be a great bird dog but he got lost while I was training him in the boonies. I went back ever day for a week and cruised the 5 square mile area I lost him but never found him. He was a great dog but forgot what come here meant.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This guy is sharp as a tack. He is CLEARLY housebroke. Went to the door and scratched to go out a couple of times. And he has eaten more today than he did the whole 3 days (?? Or is it 2?? My how time flies when you're having fun! 😊) before.

We have come to an "agreement". He can sit outside the open bedroom door and watch the cats as long as he doesn't make noise and scare them. MissPriss still isn't having any part of it. All you can see of her is her beady little eyes out from under the best, or from her perch back in the cave she has made herself on one of the shelves in my sewing room.

Harvey will sit on the bed and stare at him but he's not running off so we are making progress. I figure before the end of April we will all be back to going wherever in the house but right now as long as Snoop is where I can see him I trust him. 😉

He does this weird thing with his right back leg -- if he "breaks" a wait (stay) command, or does something he knows he's not supposed to (like try to go out the front door without permission) he acts like his leg is hurt and will hold it up and not walk in it until he's sure he's not in trouble. 🤨 I've read of dogs who've learned this behavior as a "work around" to not have to mind ... Or to get out of trouble ... Because humans are gullible ... But I've never seen it. Until now. Which has me watching Dawg and his limping a little closer. 🤔 Because he's pretty inconsistent about limping. It IS possible that it doesn't hurt all the time but the thing is I'm not seeing any swelling, he's not tender to palpation and when treats are involved he has no problem following commands. 🤷🤷

They are both laying on their beds snoring their little hearts out. 🥰🥰 It is adorable. I will probably start doing a little leash work with him next week. He's not nearly as apprehensive when I reach to let him ... He knows his name and he's good with the commands we use around the house. He and Dawg don't have any issues save the occasional "you're too close to my treat" grumble. All things considered, his integration into the household here has been as seamless as anyone could have ever hoped for.

Much MUCH smoother than Dawg's was. I dunno if you guys remember or not but THAT danged mutt very nearly got himself euthanized before he decides to play nice. 😬😬 It is a VERY good thing for him that he was all talk and no bite. 💕💕💕

Snoop is a VERY chill dog. I don't think he would have survived being feral. Some dogs just don't have the personality for it. He's very happy here and will definitely spend the rest of his life just like Dawg -- fat, sassy and VERY spoilt. 🥰🥰

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This dog ... You guys ... OMG he is just full of surprises.

I dunno if you can tell from the pic but his butt is in a hole the chickens have dug themselves to dust bathe in. He looks for all the world like he has just fallen over dead. 😂 At least Dawg is in the shade. Haha!

Put them both in the kennel so Harvey could come outside for a while today. Might should have named him Houdini but at least I know (and have fixed) all the possible escape hatches.

We've been outside all afternoon, so I've been able to put him to the test, so to speak.

1. He does not feel the need to bark just because the neighbors' dogs do. This is good. Very, very good.

2. He knows not to go out a gate without permission. We've practiced that several times this afternoon and he doesn't even try.

Dawg will stand there and ponder whether he can pull it off (like go to the car door and then look back at me like "Can we? Can we? We ARE going, right?? You KNOW we haven't been to Sonic all week!! I'm DYING here!!" Snoop just lays there and waits on me to finish whatever I am doing. He is the most chill dog I've ever seen.

3. If he is out of sight all I have to do is say his name ONCE and he comes looking for me. I don't have to go looking for him. It is GLORIOUS!

He doesn't bother the chickens, try to climb with fence and carry on like mad man when squirrels are on the electric lines running back and forth, and is basically just VERY chill.

I will say this, though. The guy that comes out to mark lines when you are doing work around your house (The "Call Okie" folks) came in the back yard to mark the lines because we are having some work done on the sewer lines. He didn't even make it to the back corner of the house. 😂😂😂 Snoop and Dawg both were Johnny-on-the-Spot! Lol AND when I called them "out" Snoop came back quicker than Dawg did! He got back on his hole 😂😂 and just laid there and watched the guy!

@OK Corgi Rancher I think you are right -- this guy would have made a phenomenal farm dog. But I'll just fix him a little farm back here in the backyard and we can sun and drink our beer and enjoy like. 🥰🥰🥰

IMG20240328164346.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom