Home made Salsa recipes - who's got a good one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love spicey/hot food but not all salsa has to be burn your tail hot to be good.

A garden fresh salsa will trump any salsa that starts with ingredients that come from a can.

Just like guacamole, salsa is simple. Keep it simple and it will taste great every single time. Yes, making chipotle peppers to add in or smoking/charcoal grilling some of the ingrediants will add to it, but in the end, use the K.I.S.S method with salsa and you will be pleased every time.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smoky Green Salsa

6-8 hickory smoked tomatillos, cut into quarters

1 yellow onion, cut into quarters

1 bunch of cilantro

3-4 serrano peppers

4 cloves of garlic

juice from one lime

Combine in food processor and puree

T

texasmoon

I know I'm probably gonna catch some flak for this, but in a pinch, I really like this mix called salsa in a snap. my wife found it for me at Affair of the Heart.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My basic salsa recipe is one that originates from The Frugal Gourmet show on PBS back in the 90s. I adjust it for heat with the type or amount of peppers, as has already been mentioned. I also use some lime juice for additional acidity and freshness. I personally like a strong cilantro flavor but it can be dialed back if that is not your style.

1 tsp garlic; Minced or crushed
1/2 Green bell pepper; seeded and chopped
1 tsp Salt
4 c tomatoes; Ripe, cored and chopped
5 Jalapeno peppers; seeded and chopped
2 tb Fresh Cilantro; chopped
1 c Canned tomato sauce (alternate suggestion: Spicy V8 or Snappy Tom)
Salsa jalapena; (La Victoria Brand - use to taste and heat level desired)
1 1/2 tbsp Red wine vinegar
2 md Yellow onions; peeled and chopped medium

Put all the ingredients in a bowl, mix well, taste and adjust to your satisfaction. Really good made in the morning for an evening party or grill session. Good for a few days in the refrigerator but you'll probably eat it all before it ever has a chance to go bad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom